Friday, December 19, 2008

stop the madness





Both of my Christmas presents are being used...make that all three. I am wearing the slippers I ordered from Walmart site to store (everything is at least a dollar cheaper if you order it that way, why is it?), the outdoor firepit has been assembled for almost a month, we've roasted a bag of mallows already, and my 'new' rug is in the living room covering the embarrassing stained carpet that just refuses to look new anymore.

Yesterday we had Nora's 2 month appointment. She is 9 pounds 5 oz. She is 22inches long and really strong. She got 3 shots and an oral vaccine. While I was in the clinic, dad and Gavin went shopping for a few needed things and lots of uneeded items. I returned to a car full of hockey sticks, pucks, baseball helmets, a computer chair mat thingy and some groceries.

Maleah turns seven on Monday. We plan to take a few of her friends to the ice rink, but it is threatening to be cold, so we may be watching a movie at home instead. I can't believe that 7 years ago we were about to have our first baby. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around that. I took her to Christmas Eve service the day we came home from the hospital. It was so wonderful.

People ask me how Addison does with the new baby but I think Maleah is the one that is suffering the most. She went from being the one and only girl to being one of three. Lately we have been butting heads, she has strong opinions and voices them. I see that she picks up on some of my worst personality traits and I don't like it one bit. It is so obvious that I should have made her first seven years different than I did. I am paying for that now. We have been talking a lot about making good decisions and doing the right things instead of throwing a fit and screaming and yelling and sometimes lashing out at our brother...it is really time consuming and I don't like this part of parenting at all.

Last night we had Gavin's Christmas party. He looked like the super sized preschooler, a whole head taller than most, several heads taller than some kids. He was so excited to see friends and family there. I forget sometimes that he is just five. He had to be a big brother and grow up a lot.


Of course an hour before we left for the program Addi fell spot on into the piano leg, it swelled up into a small pumpkin on her forehead. It is a bit worse than the other side when she fell onto the concrete this morning. Sigh. I wish I could hold my kids safe in my arms from everything forever, but I can't.

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

I love your stories and I have to tell you, your kids are so so cute. I know what you mean about your oldest...my madison who will be 9 tomorrow, sometimes complains about being the middle child. We butt heads at times too but then the sweetness of them eventually comes out. I think it's just how daughters are. You are doing a great job.

THANK YOU for your beautiful xmas card. I love the photo and it just made my day. I'm so glad we have become cyber friends. I think we all inspire each other!

Unknown said...

Thanks DeAnn!

The photo is nothing compared to your beautiful work...