Friday, December 02, 2005

Jesus vs. that other guy

My three year old asked me who that guy was that gives the presents to everyone. "Santa Claus?" I asked. She had caught me completely off guard. "Do you believe in Santa?" I asked her. "Well," she started "It's a good story."

So, before I knew it we were deep in conversation about Christmas. So I explained that it is Jesus' birthday and everyone buys gifts for people that they love to celebrate for Him. She seemed satisfied with my explanation. Although, I don't think it will be the last time we discuss this Santa Claus.......

When I was younger, I don't remember much about Santa coming to our house. I'm not saying we were bah humbug's, it just wasn't important to us. I haven't even really thought about how to approach the subject with my own children. I really want her to understand the real reason for Christmas. But there is something magical and exciting about this St. Nick charachter as well. I think it is best to teach her about the birth of Jesus and let her soak up the Santa stuff on her own.

The world is crazy at Christmas. Everyone is rushed and busy and I think it's easy to forget why we are celebrating. She can relate to having a birthday party for Jesus, since she has one this month as well.

No comments: