Monday, January 18, 2010

Singlet news

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A wrestling singlet (or simply singlet) is a one-piece, tight-fitting, colored uniform, usually made of spandex, lycra, or nylon, used in amateur wrestling. The uniform is tight fitting so as not to get grasped accidentally by one's opponent, and allows the referee to see each wrestler's body clearly when awarding points or a pin. Unlike judo, it is illegal to grasp an opponent's clothing in all styles of amateur wrestling.

The Gavinator pulled out a 2nd place trophy at the invitational on Saturday. He was so proud, right before he went into his second match his cousin got a fat lip while wrestling. I thought for a fleeting moment that that moment might mean the end of Gavin's career, but instead he surprised me by pulling my arm and whispering into my ear, "I am gonna win this one for my cousin." And he did. Here is a sneak peek of part of that match.

9 comments:

bobbione8y said...

wrestling always makes me laugh. i mean really, it's kind of not a sport, is it?! ;)) i can see how Gave loves doing it, whether he has a singlet on or not! the fact that he got a trophy AND a singlet makes it pretty groovy.

Unknown said...

I am with you B, I do not understand the sport at all. I'll stick with it untill he wants to do something else and I won't miss it when it's gone...

Unknown said...

spellchecker, I NEED YOU!

KristieLou said...

yea gav!

i know its not technical...but i call them onesies. which makes mike a little crazy...because he wears one for lifting ;)

Unknown said...

well it's better than unitard...

KristieLou said...

mike says he's got to control the arms and hips low (we just watched the video).

mike is proud for you...he says he is going to be a good wrestler...for what its worth ;)

Unknown said...

The first match lasted 30 seconds, I have the video to prove it. Gavin lost that one. I was SHOCKED to see how much he learned just from that one. His second match was a lot longer. I had 4 or 5 video segments of that one. With experience, I don't doubt he could do very well. He had a ton of fun and that is the most important thing for me.

bobbione8y said...

mike in a onesie. thanks for that visual, lou. you know how i love that kind of thing :)

KristieLou said...

you're welcome bob ;)