Monday, September 08, 2008

Playing school

So, the first grader comes home with 'extra' papers almost every day. She explained to me that her teacher says they can throw them away but she likes to keep them to play school with her brother.
(I think it's a great alternative to the Disney channel after school.) Tonight I was the principal and dd was the teacher and ds was the student (she had to let him be a 4th grader), again. Supper time was actually 'school lunch' ("4th graders eat really fast, mom"), and recess time ("we can't play with the dog because dogs don't go to school") was before that. After supper the little one was in dire need of a bath so I asked 'the teacher' if she could help clean up the kitchen and put the dishes in the dishwasher. She pondered it for a moment and said, "Well, we don't really have that in our schedule, but we can skip smart board, that would be okay with me." Then after she had difficulty convincing 'the student' to help clean, she threatened to send him to the principal's office and call his parents. He ended up being 'disqualified' and sitting on the bench for next recess.

***Totally unrelated yet really important to me: Today would be my father's 58th birthday. Daddy, your almost 12 grand kids would have really loved to have known you. Keep the light on for us up there, will ya? Love, your first born.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I love to hear about what your kids are up to. You are in such a different stage than I am..it's good to think back and remember.

I have been asking God to give my mom little messages, maybe He'll do that for you, too.

Unknown said...

It really is a different world, isn't it, maybe not...I giggle every time I think of the coffee maker hostage post. I hope my kids are that creative when they are your kids' age.

I hate not having my daddy here. I miss him lots. I will try praying for the messages. It's been a long time since I have talked to daddy.

Karen said...

I know. It's the kid things that make me miss her most. She would so love everything they're into and up to (coffee pot hostages included). Did I ever tell you that she read your blog while you were in treatment?

Unknown said...

I didn't know that...I feel honored to have met her even if it wasn't mutual.

Karen said...

It's funny, because I couldn't read it. I didn't start until after Carey told me you were cancer-free. I just couldn't handle it, but she could. She's cool like that.

:-)

Unknown said...

I am sorry I didn't get a chance to meet her here...I can't wait to meet her in heaven...

Karen said...

You'll LOVE her.

:-)