Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Iced Coffee

photo from thegrocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com
The pioneer woman posted a recipe a few weeks back about iced coffee. I wanted to make it but I was frightened. I had no large container like hers. I do not posses an adorable dispenser like hers. I put it out of my mind.

This weekend my mom served me a tall glass of iced coffee. It was AMAZING. I looked in her fridge. She had a large jar of coffee concentrate with a screw top lid. It wasn't beautiful but it tasted better than Starbucks. I asked her for the recipe. She sent me to Bob's post from 2006. I tried it out with some beans I have been wanting to use up. It is perfect. I am in love with iced coffee.

The two recipes are very similar. Add some water to a pound of coffee and let it sit. Ree sat hers out on the counter. I put mine in the fridge. Some reviewers say that the room temperature makes a more bitter tasting brew. I don't know. Ree uses more water in hers. I like my coffee strong enough to chew it. I like Bob's 6-8 cups of water dilute. It works for me. Of course I add two parts of milk to one part of coffee concentrate and Ree did about 50/50. I coarse ground the beans and let it 'brew' in my big Tupperware bowl in the fridge overnight. I used 4 coffee filters and some paper towels to filter it this morning. I need to find my cheesecloth it is lost in my canning supplies somewhere.

I can't wait to try a shot of the concentrate over chocolate ice cream.....mmmmmmm. Bob lists several recipe concoctions at the end of his post. They all sound delish. Are you going to try one?

Oh and let's talk money, shall we? The pound of coffee was $4 off of amazon.com. The water was free:) I used a few pennies worth of coffee filters and a few more pennies worth of paper towels. I used a half of a cup of milk and a shot of half and half and a teaspoon of splenda for my one cup. I don't know what that adds up to but I do know it is one cheap and tasty treat!  You should try it.

10 comments:

bobbione8y said...

yes, been thinking about it since i read her post, too :))

that's it. gotta go buy some coffee and try it...! i don't want to use my good World Market stuff unless i know for sure ;)

Unknown said...

It is good, and surprisingly easy. I would get the full strength stuff if that is what you are used to. That decaf does nothing for me and only adds more sugar to my life :)

Karen said...

I did make the PW recipe. I used some ground coffee I had received as a gift and my Tupperware pitcher. It was gooood. I will check out Bob's recipe when I get home, because you can't have too many iced coffee recipes. :-)

Unknown said...

I hope you give Bob's a try. Who knows which one you will like better?

bobbione8y said...

so, PW's recipe calls for 8 QUARTS of water, Bob's calls for 8 cups of water?

wth?

i made it bob's way, and it's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too strong for me ;)

Unknown said...

yes it is strong...hence the name concentrate. I used one third concentrate to 2/3's milk/cream and it was YUMMY! but maybe you drink your coffee like my mil. I call it brown water...he he he

bobbione8y said...

I thought i liked strong coffee, until i tried that stuff ;)) ha. added about 1/3 water, and 1/3 milk. it was still kind of killer!

i think you might be above my league as a coffee drinker ;)

Unknown said...

huh, I had you pegged for an espresso kinda gal...no worries more of the strong stuff for me!

bobbione8y said...

in any case, more water seems to be a fine solution :) thank you for sharing the recipe, it was so easy to make!

Karen said...

I was so excited yesterday to find the very same brand of coffee that PW used. I was even more excited to find it for less than $4.

I was fuming mad to get home and realize that I had bought the (flipping) decaf.

AARRRGGG.