Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Dill Pickle Relish



Searched high and low for an 'easy' relish recipe. My oldest loves relish. Most recipes call for sweet red pepper and I had none. This one is about as simple as I could find, has no red pepper and it still took me all morning. AND I had to borrow some tumeric from my lovely neighbor! It made 4 pints for me:) Then again, I am not the best at accurate measurements. It tastes good, though.


Dill Pickle Relish

4 lb cucumbers (I cut up about 6 large cucumbers I removed the seedy part if they were large)
1/4 cup pickling salt (you must use non-iodized salt or it will turn a nasty color)
1/2 tsp turmeric (I used ground from my lovely neighbor and 4th grade teacher, Doris)
2 cups white vinegar (5%)
1/3 cup sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced (I used the jarred stuff)
1 Tbsp dill seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds (again I used ground)
1 1/2 cups onions (one very large onion)

Scrub cucumbers and trim off ends and cut into chunks. In batches in a food processor, pulse cucumbers and onions 8 to 10 times to cut into 1/8 to 1/4" pieces.

In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumbers with salt and turmeric. Stir in 1 cup cold water and let stand for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Drain in large sieve. Rinse under cold water and drain again, pressing out moisture.
On a large saucepan bring vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill seeds and mustard seeds to a boil. Add cucumber mixture, return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Ladle into half pint jars leaving a 1/2" headspace. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes About: 3 pints (mine made 4)


Recipe credit where credit is due...thanks Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I am glad it turned out for you. It's one of our favorite "canned" goods.

bobbione8y said...

yum-o. i just had a 'blast from the past' by remembering something similar from growing up...will have to ask my mom for her recipe!!

i used to sneak that stuff with a spoon, no burger or any other real food necessary. i guess i relished the relish!

Karen said...

Turmeric is a cancer fighter. :-)