Sunday, August 08, 2010

Bye bye summer hello delicious diet food


Well, now that baseball is over it can only mean one thing. The summer is gone. It goes by faster and faster every year. Only 13 days until SpudFest!

The state tournament game isn't even worth mentioning. It was that bad. It just wasn't their day.

I got some time to myself this weekend. It was completely spontaneous and unexpected. It started because I had a fight with a box of "do it yourself" highlights which required me to head to town and find someone to fix it and ended with my whole family camping out for a night sans me. Here is the note I found on the table when I returned home.

It was lonely. I didn't sleep well. Then I got over it and made some delicious diet food.
August 1st was the start date for the family Biggest Loser contest. I am taking it slow and making better choices about food and also getting off my bum a little more. In fact, my oldest and I went for a slow run the other night and it was fantastic.

Anyway the delicious diet food....stay focused, Rani.

I had a container of low fat cottage cheese staring me in the face and I needed to use it up.

What else can a hungry girl do but google cottage cheese recipes?

This one was so easy and I had everything on hand. I used my blanched and frozen spinach and I was so pleased with the results.

Crustless Spinach Quiche

2 boxes frozen spinach (thawed)


1 container plain cottage cheese


1 small onion (chopped)


2-3 egg whites


salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes to taste


olive oil or cooking spray

Drain the spinach really well- the best way is to squeeze handfuls of it over the sink.


Finely chop the onion and saute in olive oil until golden- about 10 minutes.


In a large bowl, mix the onions, spinach, cottage cheese, egg whites and spices until well blended.


Pour mixture into an 8x8 pyrex, pie plate, or scoop into muffin tins.


Baking time is about 45 min for an 8x8 or pie plate or about 20-25 min for muffin tins.


These freeze well, and can be left out to defrost before being reheated in the oven. They can be frozen baked or unbaked. Two of these with a whole wheat pita bread makes great lunch!

I used the rest of the cottage cheese to make a taco fiesta casserole for supper. YUM!

No comments: