Monday, September 19, 2011

If I knew then what I know now

I am sure you have all heard that wedding quote, "This day I will marry my friend, the one I laugh with, live for, dream with, love...". When I got married I honestly thought it was corny. Ryan and I had been together for almost 10 years, since junior high, before we walked down the aisle. It just seemed too cliche.
Today is Mr.Mommyville's birthday. We are the same age for about two months. I got him a small, practical gift and a photo book of summer memories and am currently simmering his favorite soup, white turkey chili. He wanted monster cookies this weekend but I wasn't feeling very good and didn't get them done so I may try to tackle them sometime today.I feel a little guilty about that.
When he got up this morning the kids greeted him with,"Happy Birthday, Daddy!" and he smiled from ear to ear. I think the hugs he got beat any gift I could have bought.
We have been through a lot. I am sure every couple has. It boggles my mind to think of what the future may bring for us. I never know what we are doing until almost the minute it happens.
Then there is the goal. The things we want to accomplish. The plans we have together. We talk about them all the time. There isn't one easy street. It's a whole map full of un-navigable old dirt roads. It reminds me of that movie, "Up". When they keep planning for their dream house and it never materializes. Plans change. The theme of our marriage. Kids, maybe? Two, that feels right. How about 4? Okay. Yes, plans change. The past does not.
If we got married again today. I would send out invitations with the best friend quote on them. Because you know what? It is not corny. It's entirely the truth. Happy birthday, best friend. I love you. Today, and everyday, I am thankful for you!

No comments: