Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Orland Colony

Here is the 8th grade graduating class from the Orland Colony. I have been subbing in this classroom since Easter. There are 21 students and it is 4th - 8th grade. It is pretty challenging to teach 5 levels in one room. The teacher arranged classes in blocks so that each subject is only a couple of days a week for a few hours. Then mini-lessons are taught to each level. They are a dedicated bunch of students and I am having a ton of fun. I miss my own kids, but knowing that there are only a few short weeks of this really helps me prioritize. One student is deaf, so there is a sign language interpreter in the room all the time and I have to wear a microphone, because she just got a cochlear implant. There is also one classroom aide, who keeps me in line. I am amazed at how attached I have become to the children already. My last day will be a sad one. It has been a wonderful, rewarding experience.

No comments: