Friday, January 13, 2006

Substitute Teacher

Had an AMAZING experience yesterday. Subbed at the Orland Colony for the first time. It was really something. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The children were all curious and had lots of questions about my hair, makeup, nylons and why I drove a Chevy. They were very touchy-feely and asked frequently to play with my hair and rub my back. They had lots of energy and it was quite difficult to get them to sit in their desks for any length of time. I had the younger classroom the K-3rd graders. Their wide-eyes and freckled faces were hard not to fall in love with. The older group, the 4th-8th graders, visited me at lunch. They wanted to sing for me. Anyone who knows me knows I love to sing. So I told them I would visit their classroom at the end of the day when the students in my class were in music. I was completely unprepared for the wonderful treat of their voices. After a moment of deciding what to sing, the room slowly filled with two or three harmonies of a church hymn. The words floated into the air like a thick satin ribbon. It took all of my power not to have tears running down my cheeks. The children sat at their desks, some with their eyes closed and out of their mouths came pure heaven. I have NEVER experienced such a wonderful sound. I was moved. I was astonished at the talent of these young children. I had goose bumps all over my body.

No comments: