Saturday, March 26, 2011

comforting

on the to do list for today

the little girls' slippers

I am giving her grief here for jumping in without waiting for me to catch her
2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

After spending a couple hours at the hotel pool with Nora last night, I am in desperate need of some comfort today. She has no fear. None. The complete opposite of her sister Addison. The summer promises to be eventful. I should crochet I life vest for Nora to live in.

Today the neighbor and I ran to a garage sale and it was cold out. COLD. So I came home in dire need of some comfort food.  I have a go to recipe for ooey gooey yummy enchiladas that I just don't make often enough. I had some cooked chicken breast staring at me in the fridge so I made this up for lunch. Without browning the burger we were at the table chowing down in 20 minutes. This is actually a taste of home recipe that I modified by removing the canned soup from the original recipe. I don't even know why they had it in there. It doesn't need it. It is really delicious and comforting on a cold day like today. I also just add about a half of a cup or so of my homemade salsa instead of onion and green chilies.

Skillet Enchiladas
1 pound ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce (you can make this from scratch using tomato sauce and chili powder)

1 to 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies

Canola oil

8-10 corn tortillas

2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese, divided

1/2 cup chopped ripe olives

Directions

In a large skillet, cook beef and onion (I used chicken today and left out the onion) over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the enchilada sauce and chilies (I always use homemade salsa). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil. Dip each tortilla in hot oil for 3 seconds on each side or just until limp; drain on paper towels. (if you accidentally over cook one or two - sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar for desert :)) Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup cheese and 1 tablespoon olives. Roll up and place over beef mixture, spooning some of mixture over the enchiladas.

Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted. Makes about 8-10 enchiladas and a ton of sauce.

Yummy, cheesy, comfort...exactly what today needed. Now off to make some of my favorite cookies!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Mmmmmmm. Sounds delish. I think I would use a green enchilada sauce. I have it stuck in my head that chicken = green sauce and beef = red. Also, if you put your tortillas between two damp paper towels and nuke them, you don't need to dip in oil.