Wednesday, March 09, 2011

let the Lenten season begin

from T.S. Eliot's Ash Wednesday



Because I do not hope to turn again

Because I do not hope

Because I do not hope to turn

Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope

I no longer strive to strive towards such things

(Why should the agèd eagle stretch its wings?)

Why should I mourn

The vanished power of the usual reign?


Because I do not hope to know

The infirm glory of the positive hour

Because I do not think

Because I know I shall not know

The one veritable transitory power

Because I cannot drink

There, where trees flower, and springs flow, for there is nothing again


Because I know that time is always time

And place is always and only place

And what is actual is actual only for one time

And only for one place

I rejoice that things are as they are and

I renounce the blessèd face

And renounce the voice

Because I cannot hope to turn again

Consequently I rejoice, having to construct something

Upon which to rejoice


And pray to God to have mercy upon us

And pray that I may forget

These matters that with myself I too much discuss

Too much explain

Because I do not hope to turn again

Let these words answer

For what is done, not to be done again

May the judgement not be too heavy upon us

If the lost word is lost, if the spent word is spent

If the unheard, unspoken

Word is unspoken, unheard;

Still is the unspoken word, the Word unheard,

The Word without a word, the Word within

The world and for the world;

And the light shone in darkness and

Against the Word the unstilled world still whirled

About the centre of the silent Word.


O my people, what have I done unto thee.


Where shall the word be found, where will the word

Resound? Not here, there is not enough silence

Not on the sea or on the islands, not

On the mainland, in the desert or the rain land,

For those who walk in darkness

Both in the day time and in the night time

The right time and the right place are not here

No place of grace for those who avoid the face

No time to rejoice for those who walk among noise and deny the voice


Teach us to care and not to care

Teach us to sit still

Even among these rocks,

Our peace in His will

6 comments:

bobbione8y said...

Rani, can I ask what Lent means to you personally? do you make a sacrafice? is it just a 'giving up' or more to you? why do you do it?

i got my ashes last night, and it's been kicking around in me since about how God wants to use this to move me closer to Him....

Unknown said...

I believe that the Lenten season is a time for me, personally, to remember the death of Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice. It is a time of great meditation (chewing on the Word)a a time for me to refect upon my faith and my baptism into the church. In my church we omit praise and alleluia during this season as we reflect upon this awesome sacrifice. We resume these on Easter Sunday. In the early church most baptisms were performed on Easter because of the relationship between Christ's death on the cross for our sins and our cleansing of sin during baptism.

As far as 'giving up'?!!?! I believe it is entirely a matter of Christian freedom. I don't believe it says anywhere in the Scriptures that I am required to give up diet coke, facebook or chocolate. I think it would be wrong for the church to demand this or require this of it's congregation. I have very close Lutheran and Christian friends who do give something up for Lent as a way of remembering and personalizing the great sacrifice that Christ made on the cross for our sins. I whole-heartedly believe that anyone is certainly free to do so and I pray that that person does not judge or look down upon other Christians who do not choose to do this.

In the past I may have given up things for Lent. Although I do not recall when or what that item was. I do, however, remember every year how amazing and awful Christ's death as a human being was. I feel thankful and blessed to be a child of God, and so not worthy.

bobbione8y said...

thanks Rani!

yes, i think that i want to spend the time thinking of the sacrifice God made for us, and being grateful. i have never really thought much about Lent beyond that it was a ritualistic thing. now, starting to think that things become ritualistic for a REASON. i want to concentrate on the Reason.

:)

Karen said...

This is shallow in comparison to your discussion (with which I completely agree), but the fourth line of this poem is taken from my very favorite of Shakespeare's sonnets.

Yes, I'm a word nerd.

Karen said...

Ummmm, you have one of those "I am a Mormon" videos at the bottom of this post.

Unknown said...

thanks for the heads up, Karen...I think I fixed that :)