Saturday, January 28, 2012

Green smoothie that was more purple than green


Two large carrots, chopped
1 banana (I used two pears, I don't do bananas)
One apple, chopped,
Half of a container of low-fat blueberry yogurt
1 T. flax seed
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (sub p.b. if you don't have powder)
1 cup skim milk
handful of blueberries
a handful of ice cubes
fill the rest of the blender with spinach

It tasted like a chocolate shake. It was good, a little gritty from the pear. Next time I will use a different fruit, something frozen since I rarely have ice on hand.

I will also add a cucumber, it was WAY too thick for me and I like them so you can drink them. I think the cucumber will help thin it without diluting the flavor.

Otherwise, YUM. What a great breakfast or fill me up to go lunch. I figure it is about 300 calories give or take what kind of milk and protein you choose. Be creative.

1 comment:

shirley said...

Sounds good. I have never tried carrots but love spinach in my smoothies. Instead of ice, I buy a big bag of mixed fruit from Sam's and use that instead. I think it has mango, peach, and pineapple.
I'm going to have to try adding in the carrots. My boys love that veggies can make really good smoothies!