Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Why are my watermelons caged?




We had a beauty of a watermelon growing; it was a bit bigger than a softball and she was perfectly round. With my 10+ years of 4-H experience in Horticulture Judging (I even once won a trip to Denver)I had little doubt this almost perfect specimen would be a purple ribbon winner.

Today the watermelon wrangler got her mug around the 'looks too much like a ball so I gotta have it' fruit and watery stools are in her future.

So, we caged the other two tiny bulbs of melons and we'll see if we can get one...

1 comment:

Karen said...

HA! I thought of this post and came back searching for it after I saw a 53 POUND watermelon at the Farmers' Market here in 'Bama. It was all I could do to ask the farmer if he has a puppy...and a cage. :-)