Sunday, July 29, 2007

Yup, I am definately in the runnings for mommy of the year for this one...

a short time after I stopped working full-time I came across (with the help of an amazing friend) the Tightwad Gazette.
Now, many of you may or may not have heard of Amy Dacyczyn (A.K.A. the Frugal Zealot)but she is a super star in the world of living cheaply.

Anywho, I had a few leftovers today and I thought of her universal casserole recipe, so I took the thick volume off the shelf and looked up the page. Here is what I found.

1 cup main ingredient
1 cup second ingredient
1-2 cups starchy ingredient
1 1/2 cups binder
1/4 cup "goodie"
seasoning
topping

Main ingredient suggestions; tuna, cubed chicken, turkey, ham, seafood.

Second ingredient suggestions; thinly sliced celery, mushrooms, peas, chopped hard-cooked eggs.

Starchy ingredient suggestions; thinly sliced potatoes, cooked noodles, cooked rice.

Binder suggestions; cream sauce, sour cream, can of soup.

Goodie suggestions; pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts.

Topping suggestions; potato chips, cheese, bread crumbs.

Thoroughly mix your combinations of the above ingredients. If it seems dry, add 1/2 cup milk or stock. Place in buttered casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

So I used a cup of baked chicken and two slices of ham, onions, garden tomatoes and a can of peas, my homemade cream of soup recipe (thanks again clm), some cooked macaroni noodles and cubed cheddar cheese. I topped it with a few of the crumbles left in the bottom of the chip bag. I seasoned with my Tastefully Simple seasoning salt, so much for being frugal?!?! Of course it was twice as much as I needed so I had to add a little milk and I baked for 35 minutes at 350. The result was a fresh, light dish that the kids gobbled up. Well, the 3 year old picked out the tomatoes and the 5 year old picked out the onions, but otherwise they gobbled. I served it with apple slices.

Then for dessert (which you have to have on Sunday). Homemade chocolate cake with cocoa-mocha frosting. Mommy of the year, I am telling you...

1 comment:

Karen said...

Can we get a belly picture, please?