Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's the moral of the story?

After a long weekend of being doped up on Wal-phed, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and cough syrup I started up the old third vehicle to pick up the kids from preschool/kindergarten. There is a 20 minute layover between the time that #2 gets done and the time that #3 is released from school. The low fuel light came on while I was waiting so I decided to head the not quite 10 miles over to the nearest gas station and fill 'er up to kill the time. We were almost there when the truck stalled and I let her roll to a stop on the shoulder while I looked at the miles. I was sure I should have made it but the vehicle wouldn't even start. So, I told my 4 year old and 4 month old to hold tight and I would hike it the mile or so left to the station and call because, in my haste, I had left the cell phone on the kitchen counter (yet another reason not to make decisions while doped up on cough medicine). I stepped out into the SD wind and thought to myself what a bad idea this was. I made it only about 500 feet when a young man in a big truck rescued me and took both me and the kids home. Was it luck? I will let you decide. I think it was living in the village that saved me more than the luck. I am glad he stopped though. Some people may not have. It wasn't until I got home and started thinking about how bad it would have been stranded on the highway in below zero weather that I started trembling.

The moral of the story? Man I am glad I live where I live.
AND
I wish my little village could support its own gas station...

A HUGE thank you to Ryan from the Humboldt tire and automotive service for saving me and my children today. I thank the Lord for people like you. I wonder if you know what a blessing you are?

UPDATE: The van blew up on the way home from work today, too. Praise the Lord it wasn't me and the kids!

3 comments:

bobbione8y said...

wow. glad you are okay.

last week when ernie blew up, and i was stranded (one car between both phillip and i) it was not even 24 hours before our good friends GAVE us their vehicle for TWO WEEKS as they were getting ready for vacation in mexico.

hmmmmm. seems like God knows how to hook us up with angels, no?!

Unknown said...

Yes. God always has a plan. It is so beautifully obvious to me these days...

Hope Bert and you are doing well...

Karen said...

Gosh, Rani. So glad you are safe. So glad you live in SD. Hope you are done with the drugs soon!