Friday, February 29, 2008

That's all folks...

It's been a heckuva week here at the tiny house in the village.

I had a wonderful, dare I say, reunion with my Bible study gals on Tuesday night. It was delicious. I wish I had the time to do that every week. We prayed and prayed and prayed. It was good.

Wednesday was the PET scan. On the way into the big city I remember that I forgot my sedative that the pharmacy filled the script for in early January and I have been staring at since in the vitamin cabinet. I hoped that I could keep from squirming long enough for that 1 hour wait and 30 minute scan. Grant me the serenity...

The nuclear med tech really knew his stuff this time and when I asked about putting the radiation in my port instead of poking around in my arm he jumped back and said, "ahem...well, we try and avoid sending radioactive material directly to your heart." Oh, yeah, I guess that would be smart, DUH! So then I was asking about nursing and he said breast milk is okay after it's frozen for awhile because radioactive material decays and it would be fine to offer it to her after being frozen a few days, but she could not nurse. Luckily I have weaned her off this month and we are done with breast milk. Oh, and since I was asking he also offered up the following advice, "You probably should avoid holding the baby for today at least, that radiation will centralize itself in the middle of your body (in the bladder) and she shouldn't really be exposed to that." Yeah, that makes sense. If you put me in dark room, I would have probably glowed.

One and a half hours later I was walking out the front door of the cancer center. It was short and sweet. During the agonizing 5 hour wait for the doctor to read my scans and my labs we went shopping for exercise equipment. It probably would have been a much more pleasant experience had the saleslady not been a 90 pound toothpick with hair, who politely said, "You look great for just having a baby..." My hair was matted to the back of my head, my makeup was smeared and I was wearing a hospital bracelet. Had it not been for my husband and the little munch kin in the carseat, she may have thought I just walked out of the mental hospital...

Finally we got to visit with Dr. Keppen. He announced the news with a disclaimer. The Hodgkin's is gone but... I guess the scan showed a spot on my left ovary. It could be a cyst. He was not sure and he stated that he really had no experience with any other cancers so I should get it checked out by someone else. Anyway, the Hodgkin's is gone. GONE! He wants to see me again in 6 months. That's the end of that.

Thanks again for the prayers and support over the last few years. You can close this case and call it a success. I am extremely grateful and passionately indebted to my God, my family, my friends and my community for the awesome ride to wellness.

May God Bless you all.

No comments: