Monday, February 04, 2008

It's okay...my letter to the editor

One of my favorite pieces of children’s literature I actually first read when I was an adult. The Okay Book was written by Todd Parr and embraces all kinds of human differences. His words speak to children about acceptance of everyone even those people who have freckles or wear two different kinds of socks. The world is a diverse place but there is room for all of us, every one.

Diversity probably isn’t the first word that comes to mind when you think of our little village. But, I believe my town has a wonderful mosaic of people with a treasure chest of awesome talents.

Through my recent experience with the Horizons group I have come to realize that we have some amazing people who call this place home. I am not just talking about the successful, educated professionals, either. I know that our poverty level is only judged by our pocket books, because we are rich in quality of life.

This little corner of the universe can certainly count it’s blessings; there’s the store owner who spends more time at the store than she does at home, the mechanic who (if you ask him to) will pick up your car at your home to service it, the busy farmer who (on his way home from a 12 hour day) will stop long enough to scoop out your driveway, the beauty salon that cuts hair way past my bedtime, the cafe that doubles as a provider of hot meals to those of us who can’t get up or out to feed ourselves, and the list goes on and on. Our community not only supports an elementary school and a high school, but a preschool, child care center, swimming pool, city park and campground, two ball fields and a watering hole. How many other communities with a similar population can say the same?

The outpouring of kindness and generosity that my family experienced during my recent illness is hard to describe in words. Not a day goes by without an encouraging word from someone, not to mention the countless amounts of meals, care and financial support that came for us with perfect miraculous timing. This is an excellent example of the richness that is found in our community. Genuine care and compassion is just another normal day in the life here in my town.

It goes without saying that I have a tremendous amount of appreciation for every single unique person in this community. Collectively we form a beautiful, special life for each other. I joyfully celebrate the love that my neighbor has for me. I make every effort to teach my children that same unconditional love, which isn’t too difficult because all they have to do is call this town home.

I failed cheerleading tryouts in the 7th grade, but that can’t stop me from shouting from the top of my roof. “I LOVE MY TOWN!”. You may even see me do a cartwheel or a somersault. (I would if I could) This is the best little village in the whole wide world. All our unique talents and character traits make up one enormous and wonderfully magnificent collage. It wouldn’t be the same without your piece. Kindness is beautiful, isn’t it?

3 comments:

carey said...

i am i missing something? what's going on?

better explain that tug a little more for us who need to be hit over the head. :)

Unknown said...

you don't get the Herald, do you?

bobbione8y said...

yeah. i totally missed it, too.

and no, i don't get the herald :)
sorry Rani!