Tuesday, October 07, 2008

3 things you may not know about me and other random Tuesday thoughts

This sort of post has been traveling around my little group of blog girlfriends and I have been thinking about what my big mouth has not already told everyone. I feel like I know you all so well already, these are the things that perhaps I have not shared with everyone as of yet:)

1)My name is Rani and I am a germophobe.

There may be a better word for this but after the weekend I had my brain is mush and I can't think of it right now, I'll get to the weekend later, but - I cannot stand germs. I make my kids wash their hand a lot. I use bleach on my kitchen table and counter tops. If I am making something with eggs and I drop a speck - I fanatically clean it up before I can move on. I NEVER TASTE TEST. I am so freaked about sharing germs, I just don't do it. I will not let my kids lick the bowl or the spoons unless I am positive that there are no raw ingredients, which pretty much leaves frosting and melted chocolate chips... I sanitize everything. I use a baby wipe or hand sanitizer when I am in a hurry or on the go. This is something that I am sort of ashamed of. I wish I could relax just a bit. When people are around I try to hide it as much as I can. My family just puts up with me. Want more milk? Get it from the fridge because there is a slim chance I leave it on the table during the meal, it may get warm and kill us all.

2)I count steps all the time, does that make me OC?

This is something I have done for as long as I can remember. There are 16 steps in the house I grew up in. I counted them every time I used them. There were 6 steps in the front porch and it was about 78 steps give or take to the bus. It's mostly when I am walking and I have no idea why I do it. It sort of freaks me out. I know that recently, when I was subbing, it was about 93 steps from the front office to the high school computer lab. The parking lot was a different number every day, because I never had a consistent parking spot.

3)I cannot bring myself to watch live T.V. anymore.

I think the same person who started this sort of post also recently blogged about the dvr. I can't remember the last time I watched live television. This is something that is very new. My mom hated the tv and we never watched anything except perhaps a pbs show every once in a great while. Even when we were first married I thought it was nuts that my husband wanted a tv in every room. He is the complete opposite of my mom. Shortly before I was diagnosed with cancer we got the dvr. I LOVE IT. I turn the tv on in the morning and go about my chores like it isn't even there. When I get the chance, I rewind and watch the news in about 10 minutes. I dvr all my favorite shows. I am embarrassed to tell you how many there are. When the kids go off to bed and the kitchen is cleaned I sit down and watch some, in half the time :). I sometimes do a marathon on Saturday or Sunday to clean out the dvr. I put it on the Twins for dad and the Vikings games for him so he can fast forward through the boring parts and watch the fantastic plays over and over again. I am addicted. It is so sad. Please forgive me, momma.

That about does the get to know Rani session for today. Hope you all learned a little something.

This will bring me to the 'other random Tuesday thought' of my post...

Last night I finally slept. It has been a few nights. I go to bed these days right after the kiddos, usually no later than 9. By then my little piggies (toes) are almost purple from swelling and my hips feel like they need to be replaced. I get up often to pee and usually am up pretty early. I have been an early bird my whole life.

Friday night the baby was up a few times. I didn't really think too much about it because it coincided with my frequent bathroom trips. Then Saturday was even worse. She was whining and wanted to sit up and sleep. I skipped church on Sunday because she was feverish and Sunday night was the worst. I don't remember much of it because I was so exhausted I couldn't move. Dh rocked her at 5 am and noticed some goop in her ear. My heart split into a million pieces. It was an ear infection. DUH!

We took her to the dr. who said it had probably perforated during the night, OUCH! She's on some really expensive meds now and back to my beautiful baby girl. I am ashamed that I am so out of touch with the kids right now. My oldest had an ear infection just a few weeks ago. Dh figured we are using ten dollars of gasoline at least once a week to take kids to the doctor and then I go once a week, too! That made me feel so useful, since I am no longer subbing. I wonder if I could get a part time job where I sit on my bum and take care of my own sick children and get paid for it? I think it's called mommy.

The project man has returned. While I was at the doctor he went and bought some paint. Yep, you heard me...P A I N T. Wouldn't you do that if there was a baby coming in week? Of course you wouldn't, but we did. So, the house is completely torn apart. He is painting the living room and hallway and the ceilings. I can't even get supper made because I am too busy keeping the baby away from the paint mess...I am too tired for this.

All the romanticism about being pregnant; the first kick, the cute belly, the excuse to eat more calories is gone, gone, gone. It has been replaced by the painful punches of a large baby pounding on my pelvis with all his/her weight, a huge stretched piece of skin that will NEVER be the same and hunger that I cannot keep up with. Thank goodness for chocolate.

The plan for today includes making cupcakes for my son's 5th birthday, washing the curtains, and watching the !#@$ paint dry.

Here's to your Tuesday being much more pleasant!

6 comments:

carey said...

the stuff about the germs and the steps is freaking hilarious. i had no idea. one of these days, you'll have to count how many steps from your house to mine.

after the baby. way after.

bobbione8y said...

cannot relate to the germ thing. in THIS house, we ingest germs like it's an extreme sport. i'm a RISK taker, and i like it.

the "step" thing IS a mild form of OCD. one of my good friends counts and makes sets of 5 of EVERY thing. she asked a psychologist about it, and he told her it was OCD.

and the DVR?! today i did it too! i'm sure there will be a blog post soon about how dvr has revolutionized life around here ;))


happy tuesday, ran.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I knew I was probably prime candidate for OCD. I just wish my house looked more like how my brain wants it to...

Anonymous said...

Rani - I number sentences in my head. Spell out each word someone says and stack it in two columns, mentally.

Li
ke
Th
is
An
dI
ca
n't
st
op
un
ti
li
t's
ev
en.

I know all about the step-counting, OCD thing.

FOund this on digg for your stressed-out final preggo days:

http://digg.com/health/Listening_to_classical_music_can_relieve_pregnancy_stress?OTC-ig

Get some Bach on that DVR, girl!

bobbione8y said...

katie you win.

that sounds TAXING. absolutely. although i bet you are pretty good at it?!

Karen said...

Wow. I hate germs, almost cannot bring myself to pee in a public bathroom and will hold it for hours on end until I get home, even if I am at a friend's house. I don't count much of anything, but I do think of almost everything in terms of how I would write it, composing stories in my head during every event of my life.