Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Family weekend.









i
My sister and her crew were here all weekend. It was wonderful. The kids played outside and went sledding and got pulled in sleds by the four-wheeler and went ice-skating and we ate yummy food and got to catch up. I love family weekends.

Here is the new yummy recipe I tried.

Chalupas
· 3 pounds pork loin roast
· 1 pound dry pinto beans, soaked overnight
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 tablespoon chili powder
· 1 tablespoon ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon oregano
· 1 can green chilies, chopped
· 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
Topping:
· Grated cheese
· Chopped onions
· Tomatoes
· Lettuce
· Sour cream
· Crushed corn chips
Place first 8 ingredients in crockpot. Cover with water. Cook 7-10 hours.
Remove bones and mix well. Top with desired toppings. (I used leftover pork roast and just heated it all in the oven with a little water to keep it moist)


We made homemade tortillas!


Flour Tortillas

Serving Size: 12


4 c. flour (I use half wheat flour)

2 t. salt

4 t. baking powder

2 T. shortening

1½ c. warm water

Stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. With a fork, work in the shortening. Add enough water to make a soft but not stick dough. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead 5 minutes.


Divide the dough into 12 even portions and form into balls. Roll out each ball to about 1/8 inch thick. Heat a large Skillet over medium heat. Place the tortillas, one at a time, into the dry hot skillet. Cook until brown on one side, turn and brown the other side. Remove from skillet and keep warm in cloth towel.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Mmmmmmm. I'm making the grocery list right.now. Will add this to the menu.

Were the tortillas good? I've had bad luck in the past. Did you really use shortening? Does anyone use shortening anymore??

Um, family looks good, I'm just more into the food. :-)

bobbione8y said...

i was JUST talking about homemade tortillas with phillip last night!!

i am not such a big pork fan, but otherwise, these sound delish!!

Karen said...

Putting this in the crock pot right now!!

bobbione8y said...

oh, and btw, i think you should submit that photo of the little pink girl waiting on the blue sled to the paper. that is wonderful. expectations :)

Unknown said...

Karen,

Yes I used shortening. I use the veggie kind and I do a lot of mixes that I save in the cabinet like biscuit and such. Shortening allows me to keep them around for fast morning meals. You are more than welcome to substitute butter or bacon fat or whatever 'glue' you have to keep the flour mix together.

Hope you like'em.

Bobbi,

That's my niece, Callie Jane. She was born on my birthday 3 years ago. I love that photo, too.

cherk said...

I love these pics and I need to try that recipe. My mom used to homemade soft taco shells, and I have never been able to dupicate them will have to try these

Anonymous said...

The tortillas were really good as a snack with butter and honey, too!
RE: Calllie- The picture that's missing from the "callie on the snow cliff" photo is Ira pushing her off. I couldn't snap it cause it happend so fast. I think it's cool that you use so many of my pictures in your blog. What a family we have!LUM

Unknown said...

Hey mom! Thanks for the comment.

The tortillas were an excellent snack, weren't they?

I love that Jo and her family and my extended family can peek at these pictures whenever they get online...