Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The power of believing or You gotta have faith

Matt 17:20 The transfiguration

...I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.


We began a new Bible study last night. New year, new study, new president....lots of new stuff. It is a Beth Moore study, Believing God. I am psyched about it. We listened to her on a cd last night I love her southern drawl. With any study you must keep yourself focused on the Word of God and measure everything up to it. I know some of my family are skeptics of evangelists. My personal thoughts are if someone can motivate you to study the Bible more and that book stops collecting dust, it's a move in the right direction.

It sounds pretty 'back to basics' Believing God, right? I think I could do the exact same study every year and learn something new. This study is mostly old testament with some paralleling to the new. It originates from a concept in Isaiah 43:10. Last night we were flipping pages so much my book was smoking (must have been the dust). Can't wait to shake all the cobwebs out and get down to the nitty gritty.

All weekend the verse I typed above has been swimming around in my head. Can my faith really move mountains? It reminds me of another verse in Philippians 4:13, 'I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength'. I know it was faith that got me through my fight with cancer. I know it is faith in the Lord that gave me the strength to make it through two pregnancies back to back. The Lord gives me strength to move mountains (of laundry) every day. Why is it so hard for us to believe it? Is it because we don't think miracles happen any more? Are we afraid to give God the credit for his Master Plan? I am not sure. Some days go by and I think I will never be able to make it to tomorrow. I should be so thankful to the Lord for his presence (and for the Holy Spirit who guides me in understanding) in my meager little life.

I have a friend whose husband is battling the big bully of lung cancer. I am going to write this 'faith can move mountains' verse in a card for him this week. I pray that he will believe the truth of it and his faith and God's love will help him get through the journey he is just beginning.

A few years ago I found a little plaque on clearance in the holiday section. It said, "Believe". I bought it because I wanted to hang it year round in my house to remind me that God is with me all the time and to remember how important my faith is. (If I could only find it in one of my closets.) With my faith and His love I can be the best mom,wife, sister, daughter and friend to others in my life. Thank you Lord for giving us your Word so that we can study it and believe in you. I pray that all who do not know you will find you and with faith, believe.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, crud. This book has been sitting on my shelf since July. I will come back and read this later, when I have time to think about it.

bobbione8y said...

preach it, girl :)

i am happy that beth has motivated you to get back in the Word.

i wish i was in montrose with ya'll!

Unknown said...

I wish you were here, too!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you found that verse!