Sunday, March 08, 2009

Shrimp scampi with Linguini

I was at the grocery store the other day and the shrimp was $5 for a pound. We don't splurge much, but my kiddos do love the shrimpies, as do my hubby and I.

So I added about $2 worth of other ingredients and we had ourselves a fancy at home dinner. It was YUMMO! I pair this with my Italian breadsticks and the kids are lickin their fingers. I thought Addi was gonna pop:)

I added much more than a pinch of the red pepper flakes and it was nice and hot. It made you thirsty, which was the perfect excuse to finish off that bottle of wine you had to open ;) If you don't have wine, try a little chicken broth, it tastes just as nice.

This makes a ton! It will feed 6 hungry boys, or a family of 5, twice. I am not kidding when I tell you Addi ate more than my five year old.


Shrimp Scampi with Linguini

Ingredients

  • 1 pound linguini
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 2 shallots, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

Directions

For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to the boil, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates; cover. When the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done. Drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside and keep warm. Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and cooked pasta. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a bit more olive oil and serve immediately.



3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm quite sure my people would love this, however, I cannot stand the word shrimp, much less the smell, the touch or the feeling of one crunching in my mouth. Shudder.

Unknown said...

Oh, you are missing out. I am so sad I waited until I was an adult to try shrimp.

But, hey, I understand. I have to wear a mask when making banana bread...

bobbione8y said...

yeah. no go over here, except that i would eat it all. i do love shrimp too...your kids are amazing to eat this!

so, they sell shallots at the montrose store? ;)

wow, impressed.