Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sweet Potato Crescents


see that tiny orange fleck, them's the sweet potatoes...

Sweet Potato Crescents

These are light-as-air. They are the closest thing that I have found homemade to those whack'em on the counter canned crescent rolls.

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 can 15 oz. cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed (fresh if you got 'em cook 'em first, duh)
1/2 cup sugar (go ahead use splenda)
1/2 cup shortening (you can substitute, but I think this is the 'light and fluffy' ingredient)
1 egg (use your 1 T. flax and 3 T. water no one will ever know)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
5ish cups of all purpose flour (I used a little more)
1/4 cup butter, melted (no subs for this one, not at my house anyway)

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the sweet potatoes, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. (about 2 cups for me)

Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (I used the bread maker). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch the dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12 inch circle; cut each into 12 wedges.(I can never get 12, but I do 8 and I like the size of them, they are big enough to fill you up and can even sub as the bun for a sandwich. Sunday I made sausage egg and cheese crescents after church, I baked my eggs on a cookie sheet in the oven and then cut rectangles to place on the roll. The kids gobbled them up.) Brush with butter.(I do this after they cook) Roll up from the wide end and place, pointed end down (*see photo below for what happens when the pointed end is on top), 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks Yield: 3 dozen. I put the butter on mine right out of the oven because that's what I always do.

These freeze extremely well. I made a little over two dozen and when we wanted some we nuked them for 20 seconds and they were soft and yummy.

No flakes, though...that would be a croissant...Croissants are made of a leavened variant of puff pastry. The yeast dough is layered with butter, rolled and folded several times in succession, then rolled into a sheet, a technique called laminating.Making croissant by hand requires skill and patience; a batch of croissants can take several days to complete. However, the development of factory-made, frozen, pre-formed but unbaked dough has made them into a fast food which can be freshly baked by unskilled labor.

That last part, unskilled labor, that's me and quite possibly, you :)

Here are the naughty ones that flipped me off; follow those directions even if the toddler is pulling on your pant legs the whole time you are in the kitchen, pointed end down ladies, pointed end down...

*

9 comments:

bobbione8y said...

why did God make carbs so delightful?!!

:) i even love the naughty ones!

Unknown said...

ah yes, no nutritional information in this post

sparkpeople.com wouldn't touch it with a 5 foot pole...

Karen said...

Hmmm. I have never, ever purchased shortening. Oh, except for the m-i-l, for pie crusts.

Unknown said...

Try substituting (for one cup shortening) 1 cup butter OR 1 cup margarine minus 1/2 teaspoon salt from recipe.

Or, I have read that you can use half butter and half flax seed powder for shortening. BUT, I have never tried it in light and flaky recipes.

Guess it's time.

Unknown said...

I am all about the sauce...next time that's what I am doing. I have a ton of applesauce canned... they shall be called apple sweet potato crescents from this day forward!

from www.foodsub.com

For baking

General notes: Reducing fat will give baked goods a denser texture; to correct for this, try increasing the sugar in the recipe and/or beating the egg whites and folding them into the batter. Also try using a softer flour, like pastry or cake flour.

applesauce (Applesauce can replace up to ¾ of the shortening in many recipes. Add with the liquid ingredients and reduce sugar in recipe if the applesauce is sweetened.) OR

pureed prunes (Pureed prunes can replace up to ¾ of the shortening in many recipes; it works especially well with chocolate. Add with the liquid ingredients.) OR

apple butter (Apple butter can replace up to ¾ of the shortening in many recipes, also reduce sugar in recipe if the apple butter is sweetened. Add with the liquid ingredients.) OR

fruit-based fat substitutes (Especially good when baking with chocolate; add with the liquid ingredients. For best results, substitute only 3/4 of the fat with this.)OR

ricotta cheese (This works well in many yeast breads that call for solid fat. Substitute measure for measure. For best results, substitute no more than 3/4 of the fat with this.) OR

bananas (mashed) (Substitute measure for measure.) OR

omit or reduce (In many recipes for quick breads, muffins, and cookies, you can reduce the amount of fat in the recipe by about a third without seriously compromising the quality.

oil (Avoid substituting oils for solid fats when baking cookies, cakes, and pastries; it will make the dish greasy and dense. If you must do so, substitute 3 parts oil for every 4 parts solid fat and consider increasing the amount of sugar and eggs in the recipe. Pie crusts made with oil aren't as flaky as those made with solid fat.)

Unknown said...

oh, the ricotta sounds mighty interesting, too. I will have to try that...

Karen said...

Hmmm. I think the ricotta sounds best. Will you try it for me? :-)

Unknown said...

oh sure, hope you are in no hurry I only do that one about twice a year...

Karen said...

hmmm. I might just give it a try myself.