Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sweet Potato Crescents


see that tiny orange fleck, them's the sweet potatoes...

Sweet Potato Crescents

These are light-as-air. They are the closest thing that I have found homemade to those whack'em on the counter canned crescent rolls.

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 can 15 oz. cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed (fresh if you got 'em cook 'em first, duh)
1/2 cup sugar (go ahead use splenda)
1/2 cup shortening (you can substitute, but I think this is the 'light and fluffy' ingredient)
1 egg (use your 1 T. flax and 3 T. water no one will ever know)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
5ish cups of all purpose flour (I used a little more)
1/4 cup butter, melted (no subs for this one, not at my house anyway)

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the sweet potatoes, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. (about 2 cups for me)

Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (I used the bread maker). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch the dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12 inch circle; cut each into 12 wedges.(I can never get 12, but I do 8 and I like the size of them, they are big enough to fill you up and can even sub as the bun for a sandwich. Sunday I made sausage egg and cheese crescents after church, I baked my eggs on a cookie sheet in the oven and then cut rectangles to place on the roll. The kids gobbled them up.) Brush with butter.(I do this after they cook) Roll up from the wide end and place, pointed end down (*see photo below for what happens when the pointed end is on top), 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks Yield: 3 dozen. I put the butter on mine right out of the oven because that's what I always do.

These freeze extremely well. I made a little over two dozen and when we wanted some we nuked them for 20 seconds and they were soft and yummy.

No flakes, though...that would be a croissant...Croissants are made of a leavened variant of puff pastry. The yeast dough is layered with butter, rolled and folded several times in succession, then rolled into a sheet, a technique called laminating.Making croissant by hand requires skill and patience; a batch of croissants can take several days to complete. However, the development of factory-made, frozen, pre-formed but unbaked dough has made them into a fast food which can be freshly baked by unskilled labor.

That last part, unskilled labor, that's me and quite possibly, you :)

Here are the naughty ones that flipped me off; follow those directions even if the toddler is pulling on your pant legs the whole time you are in the kitchen, pointed end down ladies, pointed end down...

*
Post a Comment