Tuesday, March 09, 2010

I thought you did

Not perfect parents.

I like to think that I have a routine of sorts. There is not a calendar broken into 30 minute sections highlighting new activities and chores for the entire day but I do try to stick to a bit of a schedule.

Most nights we are geared up for bed about 8ish. We stick to that for a couple of reasons. One, the babies are dog-tired by then and two, that's about the time dad comes home and can kiss them goodnight. The bigs take about a half an hour to brush teeth and hair and by 8:30-8:45 they are down as well or at least in bed reading.

So, last night dad decided that he wanted to start, or rather finish, a project before he turned in for the night. Point is, it got a bit crazy for a few minutes, shirts were flying, toothbrushes were brushing, and kids were running all over the place.

Finally it quieted down a bit. Prayers were said, backs were rubbed, blankets were fetched, books were opened and dad and I got the power tools out. A few minutes into leveling the wall cabinet, we heard a little voice say, "What daddy doing?".There was little Addi Rose standing in the bathroom doorway holding her pink blanket. I looked at Ryan and he looked at me and we both said,"I thought you..."

Number three, an unplanned miraculous angel, amidst the hustle and bustle of bedtime, had successfully avoided any and all bedtime efforts. It seems one of us or the other sent her on a quest for her favorite blanket and she ended up downstairs playing through prayers and night nights. It caught us completely off guard and we busted up in laughter, which was actually quite refreshing after a tense hour of unscheduled mayhem.

You know you have too many kids when you forget to put one to bed.

This also helpfully illustrates why it is completely acceptable and necessary that I count my kids every time we go somewhere. So, if you see me out and about mouthing numbers; one, two, three... Go ahead and say a little prayer for me, will ya?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

THIS is my Scripture verse of the day for today. I just read it after I blogged.

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them if forgotten in God's sight. But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid; youa re of more value than many sparrows.
Luke 12 6:7 NRSV

Coincidence that I am also talking about counting today? I think not.

Just another gentle nudge from my Lord that He knows my every move before I make it and before I blog about it :)

I love you Lord!

Karen said...

I read that verse this morning, too! It in Jan. 15 of the WH's daily bible. :-)

Don't be too hard on yourself, it's not like you left one of them on the roof of the car, strapped into a carseat.

BTW, you do not have too many kids. You have exactly the right number!

bobbione8y said...

i love sparrows :)

bobbione8y said...

ps. i like you guys too, perfect or not !