Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Our own Little House in the Village...

My mother, the guardian angel herself, has been borrowing movies from the library for my kids. The latest being a potty training video and some Little House on the Prairie stories. The potty training video included a catchy little diddy that included the phrase "where the wee wee and poo go". It drove me bananas and my almost 5 year old watched it more than the 3 year old we are training. But the stories with Ma and Pa brought back tons of memories of growing up on the acreage. My mother thought that television was the devil reincarnated and it was rare that we got to watch a program on PBS, but I do remember catching a Little House episode after school every now and then. I was mesmerized by the beautiful long hair and long dresses of the Ingalls girls and the stories of hard work and love and compassion for your fellow man. It was so romantic. I think it was then that I decided I wanted to marry a farmer and live off the fat of the land...if this illness has taught me anything it's that life isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but it could be a whole lot worse. I have seen the world with crystal clear 20/20 vision through this cancer and I feel blessed. I may not be rich with money or new cars or a fancy house, my richness is measured in the support and love that flows all around me. I can't believe I didn't see it before. Obviously, God didn't want me to take it for granted any longer.

No comments: