Monday, November 27, 2006

It's hard; really hard, but it will make us stronger.

I thought I heard a gunshot a few minutes before the pager went off. My husband had fallen asleep, yet again, in front of the television in the basement. I called to him that there had been an accident a few blocks from our home. As he got dressed and left I quietly prayed as I do every time that pager goes off. "Dear Lord, be with the rescuers to do your will Lord." I heard the ambulance a short time later and prayed again. The sirens stopped singing. An hour passed and I heard the door sliding open. My husband was pale and as he came into the bedroom he only said, "It's not good, honey." My brain started racing, "Was it a kid?" He shook his head. Dumbfounded I hugged him and we sat together for the next few hours just trying to understand it.

It is impossible to completely understand the will of God. Faith will help us through the pain. Though things may seem hopeless, "God, who had called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful"(I Corinthians 1:9) No trial is so great that God cannot deliver us. No pain is so great that he does not bring us comfort and no situation is ever without God's presence.

This is what the Lord says...
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:1-2

Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Whether we face death, discouragement, loss or pain, we can take great comfort in knowing that no sorrow is too deep that God cannot feel it with us. And God wants to help deliver us from it. He wants to bring us into his divine comfort.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

We will see you in heaven, AJO. Keep the light on for us.

1 comment:

Michele said...

This was such a great blog.
I sit here thinking what happened to AJO at this age could be happening to me right now too.
This on hits home.
Thank you for this blog and making me count my blessings.
It also reminded me of Pastor Olsons sermon and you know what it is so true. You do not know when your time is coming so you don't want to be caught sleeping.
My thinking is live your life to the fullest each and everyday like there is no tomorrow and always tell your loved ones that you love them more than once a day.