Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Our House is a very, very, very...

Satisfaction is hard to come by these days. I always want more. A bigger closet, new carpet, a nicer van. I wish I could just be content with what I have. I know that I am influencing my children, too, and it drives me nutty. Just last night my son said, "it's okay if it's broken, mom, daddy can just buy a new one..." to which my daughter answered, "daddy doesn't have any money..." which is what we have been brainwashing her with because she also has been bitten by the 'un'satisfaction spider and wants bunk beds for her room "NOW, because I can't wait for a long time".
Blaming money for this feeling is the easy way out, I believe we live extremely well for the amount of money we bring home each month. The blame would better be placed on the pressures from the world that make us 'feel' like we need more and better things to make us happy. I know people who are much better off than me and are not very happy. I know people who don't have as much as I do who are satisfied and content with their lives.This past week has been another reminder that I don't need much in this life to be happy. Life is so precious. It is so fragile. We can be taken at any moment.
My birthday is on Saturday and as I was thinking of the things I wanted (it has been a sort of tradition that I get a home improvement for my special day...a new floor, door and even a coat closet one year, I love my handy man)I noticed that the list did not include what I need the most; a family who is healthy and safe, a roof over our heads, some food on the table, and faith and hope that this life is only temporary and we will all be completely satisfied one day in heaven.

***inspiration for this post provided by Sam, our supposed litter box trained cat who decided to pee all over my daughters bed during the massive trick or treat fest last night and make me so disgusted with him that I stewed over it all night only to realize that I am so blessed to have him in our lives for my daughter to love. Thank you Sampson.

2 comments:

bobbione8y said...

Hi Rani,

great post. yep, you are right and sometimes (alot of the time) i get into the "i wish i had this" mode too.

what a waste of our thinking. not ONE of the "what ifs" in our lives would bring us any closer to contentment. only the "what i already haves" and the appreciation, true appreciation for those are capable of bringing contentment.

and yep, you are right too, that they have NOTHING to do with money or material things. they have to do with the people around us, the God in us, and yes, even the pets who pee too much :))

happy day girl!

Unknown said...

thanks b, something about being sick makes everything so much clearer now. It's like I got some new glasses. I hate not being able to comment on anyone else's blog, hopefully they fix the problem soon so I can get my two cents in...