Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Paraclete

par·a·clete Pronunciation[par-uh-kleet]
–noun
1. an advocate or intercessor.
2. (initial capital letter) the Holy Spirit; the Comforter.

These last 48 hours have been a blur. I returned home from a short get away to an answering machine full of messages, hundreds of emails and a ton of work to do. I love being a volunteer. It is one of the most fulfilling jobs I have besides being a mommy and a wife. But sometimes, whew, the effort required to complete a project exhausts me. I am not a person who delegates. I always think, okay well it will take me less time to do it myself rather than explain it to someone else. So I just step up to the plate and give it all I got. I spent only a few short hours sleeping last night and woke up with a sinus infection and a terrible case of the sneezes. Why is it so hard to remember to care for myself when I have a full plate of projects? I haven't taken a vitiman since Sunday and I feel like I have been hit by a bus. Today, I broke down in tears while facilitating a group. The emotions came out of nowhere. But they were real. Everything sort of culminated this afternoon in a big mess of a conflict (which I cannot stand and try to distance myself from at all times) that didn't even really directly involve me; still I feel sort of responsible.
Then it hit me. I haven't prayed. I missed my devotions. I am out of touch. I am lost. I am in need of a leader and a guide when life gets in my way. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit and His guidance. He is my Comfort and my Helper. He is here to help me understand when I am confused, to calm me when I am frightened, to teach me the Truth. I trust in the Holy Spirit to help me understand God's plan for me. Thank you God for filling me up...

"But when He, the Spirit of Truth comes, He will guide you into all the Truth. For He will not speak His own message [on His own authority]; but He will tell whatever He hears [from the Father; He will give the message that has been given to Him], and He will announce and declare to you the things that are to come." John 16:13

2 comments:

bobbione8y said...

yep, i agree that we sometimes don't notice that we are "doing it on our own" until we find ourselves shriveled up, dried out and empty shells.

lucky for us, the Holy Spirit IS our gift, our comforter, our renewing rain. Thank God for Him!!!!

Karen said...

Maya Angelou should read this!!