Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lemon sniffing anyone?

If you had asked me yesterday if I ever got morning sickness, I would have told you no. Never, with any of my preganancies. BUT, every late afternoon I feel ill and really thirsty and like I could sleep for 20 hours or so. So I broke one of my tmi (toomuchinformation) rules and went to the www for help. Guess what?
  • Morning sickness can occur at any time of the day, though it occurs most often upon waking, because blood sugar levels are typically the most depressed after a night without food.
I guess I need to eat a bigger lunch or an afternoon snack. Good thing I have a bit of Zofran left! (I promise I'll ask first)

Treatments for morning sickness typically aim to lessen the symptoms of nausea, rather than attacking the root cause(s) of the nausea. Treatments include:
* Avoiding an empty stomach.
* Eating five or six small meals per day, rather than three large ones.
* Ginger, in capsules, tea, ginger ale, ginger beer or ginger snaps
* Vitamin B6 (either pyridoxine or pyridoxamine), often taken in combination with the antihistamine doxylamine (Diclectin®).
* Lemons, particularly the smelling of freshly cut lemons.
* Accommodating food cravings and aversions.
* Eating dry crackers in the morning.
* Trying the BRATT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and tea.
* Drinking liquids 30 to 45 minutes after eating solid food.
A doctor may prescribe anti-nausea medications if the expectant mother suffers from dehydration or malnutrition as a result of her morning sickness, a condition known as hyperemesis gravidarum. In the US, Zofran (ondansetron) is the usual drug of choice, though the high cost is prohibitive for some women; in the UK, older drugs with which there is a greater experience of use in pregnancy are preferred, with first choice being promethazine otherwise as second choice metoclopramide, or prochlorperazine.

No comments: