Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Slow down, people...

Minutes ago, I heard a loud screeching sound and watched the most enormous red tractor pulling a long red baler behind it swerve to just miss my neighbors yard. The tractor kept swerving back and forth across the road all the way down the hill. It finally stopped, in the middle of the road, facing the opposite direction it was going. The baler lay on its side in the intersection prevented only by a tree from crashing into a garage or a house.

I live in town, by the way. On a busy road but in town; where kids ride bikes and families go for slow walks with babies in strollers.

My heart was in my throat as I looked for the bike or any evidence of a child. I couldn't see anything.

Then, slowly, the man got out of the cab and with his head in his hands his chest heaved and he said, "I don't know what happened, I just lost it" to no one in particular.

I've said it before. Slow down in town. You are lucky you didn't kill anyone.

No comments: