Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Fresh eyes

I met a family today. They moved into the neighborhood two weeks ago. She walks past my house everyday to go and get her kids from school. I said hello to her today, for the first time. We chatted a bit. She caught me off guard, as she looked at my toy laden back yard, and asked if I did daycare. "No, I used to, well...it's a long story..." I didn't get into it. I asked her where she worked. She is looking for a job. She use to be a lunch lady in Brandon. We chit chatted about school, small towns and how to get bed upstairs in tiny old homes. It was nice.

It exhausts me to think about filling a new person in on the events of my life in the past few years. I. just. don't. want. to. do. it. Maybe I will sometime. Or maybe, I will let our little town tell the story itself. We'll see.

2 comments:

bobbione8y said...

i think starting small is probably the best way to make friends at "our age."

it's harder though, isn't it?

Karen said...

I feel like I want to say "I told you so!" or "This is my life every two years!" or something selfish like that. What I'm going to tell you instead is to love on this woman and bring her into the Montrose flock, because she will have to tell her story over and over to every single person she meets. Just try to make it a little easier for her, ok? Who knows the blessing God will use her to bring!