Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I am stuffed now.

It's been a good harvest.







I made spaghetti with my homemade tomato sauce tonight. It's more of a veggie sauce really. Carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, fresh basil, olive oil, and red wine all simmered together. I canned two batches earlier this summer. Tonight we were all ravenous and I browned three different meat and added them in. I don't know what I was thinking. I had so much I fed two of my neighbors as well as our whole family and STILL had enough for lunch for me and the girls tomorrow.

I couldn't help thinking how wonderful it feels to be full.

I mean yes, my belly was full. My pantry is full. Goodness, my house is full of so much it could likely explode. By the grace of God I have been ridiculously blessed. The fullness I am thinking of is not physical fullness at all.

that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.(Ephesians 3:16-19)

That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory...to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner manthat Christ may dwell in your heart through faith that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height — to know the love of Christ which passes knowledgethat you may be filled with all the fullness of God.(Ephesians 3:16-19)

So,I felt compelled to act on my feelings and my desire for 'fullness' and I googled this...

If you are wondering HOW to be filled with the Spirit, the prayer in Ephesians 3
offers excellent insight. The precise relevance of this passage is obvious, when
the concluding purpose of the prayer is noted: "that you may be filled with all
the fullness of God."

The opening phrases use the language of grace:
"That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory."

Grace
is about God at work, giving you blessings you cannot deserve.
These
blessings are in proportion to His glorious spiritual riches.
This
perspective fits your studies on the Spirit perfectly, because when the Holy
Spirit is at work, He pours out God's grace.
The initial request pertains to
an inner working of the Spirit: "to be strengthened with might through His
Spirit in the inner man." Note that this request is made on behalf of those who
ALREADY have the Spirit residing in their heart. The specific issue is about
receiving new measures of spiritual power at the core of your being.

The
desired result of this work of the Spirit is "that Christ may dwell in your
heart through faith."

Jesus is present in the heart of every believer.
Here, He is being asked to settle down fully and make Himself at home.
Jesus
is being given free rein to rearrange your innermost being to fit His good
pleasure.
Allowing Jesus to rule your heart requires the empowering work of
the Holy Spirit to break past spiritual obstacles such as apathy, fear,
self-focus, and temptations.
To allow Jesus to lead you in His way, you need
the Holy Spirit enabling you to stay in God's word, to pray without ceasing, to
worship daily, and to fellowship regularly.
Then, as Jesus rearranges your
inner life, He wants to anchor every aspect of your life in God's love: "that
you, being rooted and grounded in love." With this, He wants to you to
experience the dimensions of His love, which are beyond mere head knowledge: "to
comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height
— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge."

This Holy Spirit
process is always leading to more spiritual fullness: "that you may be filled
with all the fullness of God."


Yeah, that's the fullness I was thinking about.

Amen.

5 comments:

bobbione8y said...

with you all the way. i believe that God meant for us to seek a constant infilling of the Holy Spirit. in fact, in worship on monday, He told me that i come in there with "clothes of flesh" and leave with "Spirit clothes" - that only through praise, worship, and abiding in Him can we receive the Spirit in full :)

great post!

Karen said...

Crud. I started reading this yesterday. I KNOW I'm supposed to read it. I WILL read it.

Unknown said...

Good stuff:) last night in Bible Study Pastor brought up this exact verse, even though we are studying the book of Mark.

Must be the verse of the week, eh B?

bobbione8y said...

YES! Holy Spirit is teaching this week :)

thanks, Ran, i like this much better than twilight :)

Janel Van Ruler said...

Rani -- thanks for this awesome blog. You hit it right on the mark --wow, what blessings we have! Janel