Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Thank you God, for everything.

When I was in my first year of college, my father died. I quit school and decided to move home and spend the summer trying to figure out what I was going to do. My parents had not been able to help much with college bills and I figured a private school like Concordia was probably a little beyond my means. After getting many calls from my professors and friends I reluctantly decided to return to Concordia and finish my education. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. But, it was not easy. I had a couple of jobs and a work study. I tutored ESL students and worked at a daycare. I gave campus tours and stuffed envelopes in the admissions office. Still, there were times when I could not afford to put gas in my blue Mercury Topaz. Several times I went to get my mail and there would be an anonymous envelope full of cash. I remember one Valentines Day when I checked my box and found a stuffed pink envelope with over $90 in one dollar bills. I was shocked at the money of course, but the fact that the sender still remains anonymous to this day is the part that really gets me. I can't imagine not wanting to be recognized for such a selfless act. I am humbled by the sheer goodness of a person who needs no thanks for such a gift. Just yesterday I received a Christmas card with two gift cards in it. Today I thank God for people who give and need no recognition. Thank you Jesus for showing me true humility. Merry Christmas.

No comments: