Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I'm ready"


Today was dd's first day of kindergarten. I think it went pretty well.

The morning started out with a phone call from grandma. When dd got off the phone, I asked her what grandma said. "She told me that the angels will watch over me at school and take care of me and my new friends and my teacher." I love grandma.

She has had her bag packed for about a week now. Full with all her items from the list, it was almost bigger than she is. She got herself ready this morning, brushed her hair and her teeth, and put her own barrettes in. Which was a blessing, because I was busy 'dealing' with her little brother who is demanding my attention more and more these days. After about 20 minutes or so of meddling, she came out of her room and said, "I'm ready." That was that.

We walked the three blocks to the elementary building and she put her book bag in the classroom and took a seat. I was shaking so terribly by this point, my photos were all blurry. I kissed her forehead goodbye and she never even looked at me. I guess she was ready. I don't think I can say the same for myself.

3 comments:

Alexis Jacobs said...

What a big girl. :)

Karen said...

I remember this day, and have tears in my eyes reading this. It does get better, I promise.

Beverly said...

What a sweet story about the first day of kindergarten.

I'm a kindergarten teacher, and I know that there are angels in the room! Believe me!