Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A rant and a recipe.

I found the cumin. It was in the bag with the toothpaste that I tossed into the bathroom closet yesterday.

I am crabby today. The white chili bombed last night, I used tasteless chicken breasts and dry beans that soaked up all the flavor, turkey is much more savory, I think I will stick with using it.

I wasn't feeling well last night but with Kris's help, she did all the sewing, we pounded out the wall/hanging. All that hard work just to send it off and never see it again, I am beginning to doubt that this was a good idea at all.

Since I was in a funk, I decided to do my Bible Study homework this morning. While Addison piled blocks on my study guide I tried to downshift my brain into quiet time with me and God. Halfway through my husband came in and said, why don't you just read the Bible instead of someone else's idea of what it says. He has a good point there, you know? But I am a woman and I love hearing other people's stories. It's what turns me onto the Word most of the time. The way someone else describes how the verses made them feel or what the meaning of the original text was. I got so grumpy at him that I shut the book up, right then and there and told him what I thought. I regretted it as soon as I said it. It doesn't really matter what I said. Obviously what I was reading was not sinking in. I am terrible at the real life applications of the Word. WOW, that is amazing and that make a whole lotta sense is what my brain thinks when I am reading it and then I look out into my living room and poof all is lost. I am a poor miserable sinner who knows God and knows how to please him but chooses not to. Not only not to but to do the exact opposite of what he yearns us to do. I am pathetic.

So, here is the crappy recipe. It usually is a yummy treat, but last night it tasted awful. I don't know what I did wrong, but I failed, yet again. To be fair, when I followed the recipe in the past with turkey it has resulted in wonderful soup.

White Turkey Chili

1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 rib of celery finely chopped
1 can of chicken broth (I always use bouillon cubes and water)
2 cups cooked turkey (Jennie O make a wonderful breast of turkey, I don't recommend chicken unless you season it as you cook it or maybe use leftover roasted chicken)
1 can great northern beans. I soaked dry ones. It made a lot, too much for the chili.
1 can white corn, undrained (or for us simple folk, regular corn)
1 small can green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce, if desired :)
Garnish with;
2 oz. shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 tablespoon fresh parsley

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 2-3 minutes until veggies are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese and parsley; blend well. Cover and cook 10-20 minutes or until heated through. To serve, ladle chili into bowls; sprinkle with cheese and parsley, makes 6 1 cup servings, 230 calories per cup.

2 comments:

bobbione8y said...

Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.


thanks for the recipe dear. let's both say this Psalm together, for alas i can relate.

Karen said...

For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.

But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.

I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.

Romans 7:19-21

You're not alone, sister. Even Paul struggled. I struggle every blasted day.

Thanks for the recipe. If my family weren't so sick of soup, I would make it right this very minute, normal-people corn and all.