Friday, March 23, 2007

What part of DON'T TOUCH THE DEAD BIRD didn't you understand?

I have been antsy for preschool screening*(which my ds has called screaming for 2 years now but that is a whole 'nother post) because both of my kids have been exhibiting signs that I have interpreted to be hearing difficulties. Dd is always saying, "What mom?" and "Tell me again mom, I didn't hear you." Ds's behavior is more like, "huh?" and completely ignoring me to the point where I wonder if God even gave him ears. I don't think I was overreacting. I was really concerned. Until today. Today I confirmed that it is only selective hearing problems that I am dealing with.

Both kids were outside playing when they started yelling, "a bird, a dead bird, mom we found a bird." The came running inside and I told them please don't touch the dead bird as dead animals have germs and I made them each look me in the eye and tell me whether they had touched it. Ds shook his head no and ran back outside, dd shook her head no and then looked pretty guilty and hi tailed it to the bathroom sink. Moments later ds came back inside holding the tip of the wing of this dead bird high up in the air proudly displaying his find. I screamed, my dd screamed, and I ran to find a trash bag. Meanwhile ds took the dead animal back outside and hurled it over the deck railing into the landscaping. I caught him on his way back inside running to the bathroom, "why did you touch it after mommy said no?" I still have yet to receive a response from him other than a tiny shoulder shrug.

I think this is some nasty payback that my mother cursed me with after telling me more than once, "Wait until you have children of your own!"

*both children passed the screening with flying colors, of course

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ew, ew EW!

Have done the hearing test on short people here, too!

Anonymous said...

It was not a curse...just a premonition. mom