Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Reformation Day... the reformation of our household fits right in...

Daddy and #3 the first night at home.

#3 wrapped up with her bili light to get rid of jaundice

Proud big brother and sister at the hospital seeing little sis for the first time!
It was a long night and an even longer morning, but she's finally here!
Almost one week into being a mommy of three and my world is completed REFORMED!

The story of #3.

I noticed that something was different. I thought perhaps I could be just wetting my pants, I called my sister (baby expert and mother of 4)and she agreed it was probably nothing. A few days later the amount of the wetting picked up and I finally called the doctor who said, pack your bags and come on in. Well, I didn't pack a bag, I was still in denial. It was a whole three weeks before my actual due date of Nov. 13 and the doctor had already said with my history of stubborn babies we could induced on the 6th.

I spent a half an hour on the phone trying to find places for #1 and #2. Finally, I was on the road. I called my hubby at the hospital (work) to let him know I was being admitted. I told him to stay put until I heard from the Dr. I was still pretty sure it was a false alarm.

After being admitted, several nurses checked me and took samples and confirmed I was leaking fluid. When they asked me for how long, I stammered, a week or so? The horror in their eyes showed me that I had said the wrong thing and that I was not going to receive the pregnant lady of the year award for my waiting to long to call... My doctor came in after she was through with surgery on another patient and told me that we were done and baby would be born tonight or tomorrow. She was not on call, which made me sad. I had her deliver my #1 and #2 and was hoping we could start a family tradition. But, the doctor on call delivered all four of my sisters and I was content with that. So, it was time to induce. I had no slippers, no soft robe or pillow. Just me and my t-shirt and sweats. My dh got off early to hurry up and wait with me. He had no contact solution, no change of clothes and he looked anxious.

I have this difficult uterus. It is hard to explain, so I just say it is upside down and backwards...most nurses cannot even check my cervix until I am dilated past a 2 or a 3. So, we went through the awkward phase of nurse after nurse trying to check me , which was not all that pleasant as you can certainly imagine. I think I needed an epidural just for that. We chose to take an oral medication to begin the induction. I swallowed the aspirin like pill and tried to relax. At about 8 pm my water gushed all over the floor. My husband was amazed at the amount of fluid. I won't soon forget the look on his face as he looked at the puddle on the delivery room floor. I got cleaned up and because it was my third baby they told me I could have the epidural whenever I wanted. Because I had only progressed from a 1 to a 1+ (my poor body was aching already) I decided to wait it off until I started feeling the contractions more. I had not progressed any further, but was breathing through the pain when we put the call out to the anesthesiologist. It was near midnight when he came. The "new" way to consent for the epidural is to watch a video. It used to be that the nurse would read you a list of side effects and you would sign away. Now, they have this adorable little doctor man telling you about the procedure AS THEY ARE SHOWING IT BEING DONE! It was shocking, I have had epidurals before, but have never seen the needle. YIKES. For some insane reason I went ahead with it.

The epidural took nicely to the left half of my body from my ribcage to my ankles. The right half, however, did not take. I think I felt like a stroke victim must. At about my belly button, I could feel the line of numbness. It was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced. My left leg was heavy and numb and when I touched it, it felt like marshmallow. My right leg was normal. So, the Dr. gave me a bit of a boost of more medicine which got me through the next hour or so. After that I pretty much felt every bit of pain except you could have taken a chain saw to my left ankle and I wouldn't have noticed (yep, I had time to check out the recent episode of Grey's).

It was close to 6 am now. They checked me again. I was progressing. I was at a 4 or a 5. Since every nurse is different they all say things like, "I have chubby fingers, or I have small hands, but I think she is a __" My husband rolls his eyes... the nurse predicts a baby by 10 am.

So, I said to dh. "Why don't you go and get something to eat and then come back." "No way!" He says. Apparently, last time, I went from a 5 to a nine in a few minutes and he didn't want to miss the show.

At about 630 I felt like I needed to use the restroom. This was the cue for baby to come. Apparently, I say that each time, too. It's amazing what I forget!

So, Dr. came in. I got positioned and push, push, push. The nurse on my left was a newbie. This was her fourth week on ob and she was a go- getter. She was screaming, you can do it's into my ear so loud I wanted to muzzle her. You can only take so much coaching, you know?

By this time the medication was only affecting my right leg, from my knee down. Yippee. I felt every bit of baby. It was pain but not like any other. I knew that it would be over if I could only give all my strength and push. Dr.'s eyebrows burrowed a bit. "I don't like that cord position..." she mumbled. This time, I was aware of everything. This was new to me. I saw the look of worry on the Dr.'s face. I witnessed the team of nurses anticipating the baby's birth in the corner of the room. The table was ready with all the equipment a baby might need. My husband was on my right holding the heavy leg. Same spot he was in for #1 and #2. He was anxious, but his face gave away nothing. He smiled at me and said, "one more, honey, I know you can do it."

I took a deep breath and pushed. I felt the baby slip into the hands of the doctor and the nurse. They brought her up and I saw it was a girl. I said it out loud. They quickly and effortlessly cut the cord and whisked her away to the table. It was quiet. Really quiet. I began to cry. "She's not crying" I said. I repeated it over and over. They were massaging her chest and talking about heart tones over at the 'table' in the corner. My husband left my side, only after telling me everything was going to be all right. He went to the 'table'. Everyone was blocking my view of the baby. Things started flashing through my head. Was this the plan? Is this how it is supposed to be? I was scared, and felt completely helpless. It felt like hours. Then, a cry. Thank you, Lord Jesus! I heard her cry and all at once I felt no pain. I felt nothing but thank fullness for life and for miracles and for blessings and for love. It was exhausting, but worth it.

Then, I felt the Dr. sewing me up. It was over. Just like that. Baby had to go upstairs for some blood work. I got a quick kiss and photo and off she went. It is so hard to do that. I know it is necessary, but so hard to watch them wheel her off.

It was shortly after 7am. I was not pregnant anymore. I graduated into the mommy of three club. It was a bit overwhelming. We had no name. At about midnight we decided upon the boy name and we felt fairly confident that it was a boy. We should never rely on instinct alone. I think the Lord enjoys reminding me who is in control :)

My mother, on her way to work, stopped by to give me a headband for labor. She waltzed into the delivery room near 730 and says, "here is a headband for you while you are baby here already?!?!" Dh took her upstairs to the nursery.

Then the phone calls begin and my life is turned upside down and backwards, kind of like my insides.

There is nothing like being a mother. I feel blessed to be able to experience it. It is a special gift that should not be taken for granted. We have had so many beautiful moments as a family this past week. Many that have moved me to tears. I started thinking, oh, I should blog about that. But, you know what? Some things are too precious to share. These memories that my children and I have made will be in our hearts forever, even if I can't put them neatly in a post.

We came home a day early. I wanted my own bed and my children needed space to move around. It was nice to be home. Child rearing is NOT like riding a bike. You can't just pick up and do the same thing you did with #1 or #2. Each little human baby is unique and special and we have our own little wonderful amazing girl here. She is teaching us new things every moment we spend with her.

I am amazed by how one doctors account a baby at 37 weeks is full term. Then baby comes and all of a sudden she is early and needs special care. We are doctoring every day and her bilirubin levels are a bit too high (my husband has high bilirubin as an adult, we must talk to dr. about that...) so we have her on a biliblanket to help her liver develop. She is nursing like a pro (thank you Lord!), pooping and peeing and even sharing her gift of lung power with us every now and then for a good cry. I am a bit emotional, which comes with the territory. I hope to get my feelings in control here pretty soon. But, I always was a bit dramatic about things and I love a good cry every now and then. They are just nearer and more often now :)

I am pretty much at home all the time now. Baby needs to be on the blanket 24/7 until we hear more from the doctor. We take her off it to go in to the office and get her checked. I know I am anxious for her to be better, it makes nursing a bit difficult.

Today the kids are celebrating at school with their parties and we plan to go visit a very special birthday girl this afternoon between appointments. Hopefully I can keep my eyes dry for the part of the day that is important.

I am thankful for my strong and handsome hubby who is home for the week to help me out. I am thankful for wonderful friends and neighbors who have helped out with adorable girly and pink outfits, diapers, blankets and meals!

We have too many blessings to count and are reminded of God's love for us everyday.

(I don't have time to re-read this over and proof, so I hope you get the story, whether written beautifully or not...)
Post a Comment