Tuesday, October 02, 2007

And for heaven's sake leave the toilet seat UP!

This morning while dd and I were making pancakes from scratch for breakfast, she told her brother to, "stop shoving it in her face" that he gets to make popcorn balls with mom later. I am not sure where that came from. This is one of the things I was worried about once the social pressures of kindergarten set in. It isn't the first jargon I have heard from her and I am sure it won't be the last.

I admit, I am not the world's best mother. I make my share (or even more) of mistakes. I try to teach her the difference between right and wrong, the fact the Jesus loves her, and that she is so very wonderful without it getting to her head so much. But, I know she has heard me take the Lord's name in vain, say awful things about her father, and even blurt out a four-letter word or two. I try to tell her that I don't have a lot of patience and that I try, although I mess up a lot, too.I try to teach her about forgiveness and about loving our neighbor but I don't always model it in the best possible way for her.

So, when she says to her brother while they are playing," you can't say mean things like that because maybe the person you are saying it about is bigger than you and will come and fight you" I just hope that she picked that one up at school and not at home, but I couldn't be for sure.

Meanwhile, my ds has seemed to figure things out on his own. I know that I didn't spend the same amount of time teaching him things as I did her, in fact, sometimes I know he is in the same room while I am speaking and I hope that he just gloms some of the wisdom I am speaking even though I am not speaking directly to him.

We were playing a counting buckle game just this morning (to help with number recognition) and he took the cards out and said, "mom you take the 2 and the 3 and I will have the one and the four (well, he actually pronounces it 'thor') but you get the picture. Somehow, in his almost four (thor) short years, he has figured out how to count to 10 on his own and he recognizes most of the numbers, too. I would like to but I cannot take credit for that, either. My daughter is improving with school but I am certain at his age she could not do that. It just surprises me. I know they are two different people. But they grow up in the same house and still have such different little brains. It is amazing to watch them learn and make mistakes and grow into little persons. He really has a pretty good hold on life so far and it impresses me.

Although, he is in such a hurry that he forgets to lift up the toilet seat before he whizzes and more than once a day I find myself sitting on a toilet seat wet with tiny drips all over it and it disgusts me. I tell him over and over to lift the seat. It couldn't confuse him that I have been telling his daddy to close it for all the years his little brain has been forming, could it?

No comments: