Thursday, September 07, 2006

"He was 19 and green with a new M-16 just doing what he had to do"

We ran errands this morning. Dh needed to renew his drivers license. My son and I dropped dad off at the exam station and drove nearby to watch the donuts cook. My almost three year old was chanting a Rita Rae (I love Rita Rae you can check her cd out at the library) song, "march, march, march..." as I was fumbling with my change and the the cashier says, "he is ready to go to war, huh?" I laughed and immediately a sense of horror came across my insides as I thought of sending him off, then the lady continues..."my son just returned from Iraq." I smiled. If I had tried to say something I wouldn't have been able to choke the words out. I experienced first hand what Vietnam did to my daddy.
I'm having trouble remembering the exact date, but I think tomorrow would be my dad's 55th birthday (If you are thinking I am off on the years, I may be, BUT his mom actually fudged his birth certificate so he could go into the army early). I spent a lot of time in college dealing with the separation of my parents and then the death of my father. He was so sick from the drinking that his body just gave out on him. That was in May of 1994, that would make him what? 43, I think. Eleven years older than I am. On the way home from running around all morning we listened to that new song from Big & Rich (when dh is driving he picks the station otherwise it would have been KNWC for me) about that vet from South Dakota "the 8th of November" (link)

BIG & RICH LYRICS"8th Of November"Said goodbye to his momma as he left South DakotaTo fight for the red, white and blueHe was 19 and green with a new M-16Just doing what he had to doHe was dropped in the jungle where the choppers would rumbleWith the smell of napalm in the airAnd the sergeant said...look up aheadLike a dark evil cloud, 1,200 came down on him and 29 moreThey fought for their lives but most of them died in the 173rd Airborne[Chorus:]On the 8th of November the angels were cryingAs they carried his brothers awayWith the fire raining down and the hell all aroundThere were few men left standing that daySaw the eagle fly through a clear blue sky1965, the 8th of NovemberNow he's 58 and his pony tail's grayBut the battle still plays in his headHe limps when he walks but he's strong when he talksAbout the Shrapnel they left in his legHe puts on a gray suit over his Airborne tattooAnd he ties it on one time a yearAnd remembers the fallen as he orders a tall oneAnd swallows it down with his tears[Chorus]Saw the eagle fly through a clear blue sky1965...On the 8th of November the angels were cryingAs they carried his brother awayWith the fire raining down and the hell all aroundThere were few men left standing that day[Chorus]Said goodbye to his momma as he left South DakotaTO fight for the red, white and blueHe was nineteen and green with a new M-16Just doing what he had to do

It must have been a sign or something. So I dug through my old college files to find some poems that I wrote about my dad. In honor of his birthday I will bring these words back to life for just a few moments.


Last call from dad
I hear the familiar voice
and my heart skips a beat.
I feel the tears well up in my eyes
as my ears strain to hear
the same voice that used to say, "I love you"
Only, this time saying, "I'm sorry"
and wanting love to come back.
The emotions are running wild.
I sadly whisper, "I love you, too"
He cried, but it's too late.
The damage is done, there is no going back.
It hurts and there's no cure.
We both know that it is over.
For he lost a family and more,
for us a father that no one can replace.
It was good, the times we had.
Too bad, it's gone forever.
Blame it on the war
If I sit and think quietly
I can almost see their faces
Painted with green and brown.
Their eyes are dull holes
so that you can see right through
Their heads, almost.
They hear the slightest sound
And are ready to kill.
Sometimes when I think
Real hard I can see him.
He is young, blond and innocent.
But when I see his face
It is hard and almost looks
Like an old man's face.
He doesn't look like my father.
He once told me he rode in
The helicopters. He had a weapon.
They only stopped to pick up the dead ones.
Some didn't even look that they did in the
Beginning. Some were even his buddies.
But he didn't know it. He couldn't tell.
Their faces had been blown off.
Later as we sat and watched
"China Beach" he started to tell me
A little about the oriental women
And their weird round hats.
He told me about the heat, the drugs and
The blood. But, he didn't say a lot.
He used to have nightmares every night.
He would wake up screaming and in a cold sweat.
The only thing that helped was the alcohol.
The only thing that helped killed him.
He is gone now.
They say it happens a lot to the survivors.
They say it's not their fault.
Blame it on the war, they say,
Blame it on the war.
This is an excerpt from my journal, a few weeks after my dad died.
I hear the rain and feel the pounding in my heart. Will it ever stop? Everyday it comes down harder and louder. Everything is moving so fast. I need to rest. Where am I? Can anybody see me?
With every second it is coming closer. But, what is it? I can't see it I just feel it. I am trying to ignore the sound but it keeps coming.
Everyday the same, get up, do what you gotta do, go to sleep. Still, I feel it. It almost hurts. It is always coming, always there. How can I get rid of it? It's with me all the time, a feeling, a huge dark cloud all around me. I am being suffocated, doesn't anybody care? I need help, I can't run because it keeps up with me. I can't hide from it because it always see me. Will it get me? I am so scared.
I want to stop, to let it take me. I wonder if it will hurt? Maybe it will be easier. I will just stop and rest. I need to stop. I don't care if it gets me. I just can go on any further.
I think I see it, it's all around me. I feel it. I need to sleep, so tired, I need to lie down. Now, I can't move. I can't go on. I don't want to anymore.
Are you in heaven, daddy? I miss you. Happy Birthday.
Love, your first born.

4 comments:

bobbione8y said...

Rani,

the Lord has been working lately in me on the topic of "generational" curses. it all started with my hearing about Lou Engle, the leader of the group Bound 4 Life, who my church is hosting this week. He is the eighth generation of pastors in his family. i started thinking about that. what if MY family had experienced eight generations of total dedication to the Lord, what could have been different?

like you, i have so much pain in my family - alcoholism, suicide, depression and various other big hurts. I long for healing for my family so much! i wish that you had been able to SEE your father experience complete and total healing!!

But i believe the Lord is seeking to restore your family. Through your words i have seen His Spirit at work! i pray for a complete and total restoration of all the members of THIS generation of your family, and for God's true purpose for them to be lived out. I pray too for the day when those tears of sadness you are feeling for your father will be wiped away.

thank you for writing. you are changing lives.

Unknown said...

Bobbi,
I think you would enjoy this interview about what God wants...

This is an absolutely incredible interview with Rick Warren "Purpose Driven Life " author and pastor of Saddleback Church in California . His wife now has cancer, and he now has "wealth" from the book sales.

In the interview by Paul Bradshaw with Rick Warren, Rick said: People ask me, What is the purpose of life? And I respond: In a nutshell, life is preparation for eternity. We were made to last forever, and God wants us to be with Him in Heaven.

One day my heart is going to stop, and that will be the end of my body-- but not the end of me. I may live 60 to 100 years on earth, but I am going to spend trillions of years in eternity. This is the warm-up act – the dress rehearsal.

God wants us to practice on earth what we will do forever in eternity. We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out, life isn't going to make sense.

Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one.

The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort. God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy.

We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ
likeness.



This past year has been the greatest year of my life but also the toughest, with my wife, Kay, getting cancer.

I used to think that life was hills and valleys - you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I don't believe that anymore.

Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times
you have something good and something bad in your life. No matter how good things are in your life, there is always
something bad that needs to be worked on. And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is
always something good you can thank God for.

You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.

We discovered quickly that in spite of the prayers of hundreds of thousands of people, God was not going to heal Kay or make it easy for her. It has been very difficult for her, and yet God has strengthened her character, given her a ministry of helping other people, given her a testimony, drawn her closer to Him and to people.

You have to learn to deal with both the good and the bad of life. Actually, sometimes learning to deal with the good is harder. For instance, this past year, all of a sudden, when the book sold 15 million copies, it made me instantly very wealthy.

It also brought a lot of notoriety that I had never had to deal with before. I don't think God gives you money or notoriety for your own ego or for you to live a life of ease. So I began to ask God what He wanted me to do with this
money, notoriety and influence. He gave me two different passages that helped me decide what to do, II Corinthians 9 and Psalm 72.

First, in spite of all the money coming in, we would not change our lifestyle one bit. We made no major purchases.



Second, about midway through last year, I stopped taking a salary from the church.



Third, we set up foundations to fund an initiative we call The Peace Plan to plant churches, equip leaders, assist the poor, care for the sick, and educate the next generation.

Fourth, I added up all that the church had paid me in the 24 years since I started the church, and I gave it all back. It was liberating to be able to serve God for free.

We need to ask ourselves: Am I going to live for possessions? Popularity? Am I going to be driven by pressures? Guilt? Bitterness? Materialism? Or am I going to be driven by God's purposes (for my life)?

When I get up in the morning, I sit on the side of my bed and say, God, if I don't get anything else done today, I want to know You more and love You better. God didn't put me on earth just to fulfill a to-do list. He's more interested in what I am than what I do. That's why we're called human beings, not human doings.

Happy moments, PRAISE GOD.

Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.

Painful moments, TRUST GOD.

Every moment, THANK GOD.

DeAnn said...

Awesome words..I really took that to heart. It brought tears to my eyes. I went to a weekly Bible study this morning lead by Beth Moore and I have learned to just give it all up to God. He has the file on our life. Giving the icky stuff to God opens up space for Him to fill it with His presence. It's amazing, I have done this every morning and I feel such a sense of comfort and peace, just knowing He will take of me. And my friends. And my family. Thank you both for writing and sharing your words. It has made an impact on me and I'm grateful.

bobbione8y said...

Rani, i am going to print those last 5 lines out on pretty paper, and hang them right here by my computer. i believe those words are true. Thanks for sending this.

Deann, isn't it funny that we have found another "church" with each other on the web? I love reading your blog, and Ranis, and Careys, and a couple of other friends who write about their lives...and that the common thread seems to be a need for more and more God in our days, and an appreciation that God is already in all of our days?

He is amazing. So glad He brought us together.