Saturday, August 05, 2006

Crash, Bang, Boom!

Friday hit me like a Mac truck. I was going along just fine on Wednesday and Thursday minding my own business. I even made it to my husband's ballgame on Thursday evening. For those of you who do not live with an amateur ball player, August is baseball season. District and State tournaments and games almost nightly. My dh has been such a peach taking the kids with him to every game and letting them run amuck while other player's wives keep an eye on them. It all stems from "the village" philosophy. I know that even without the summer we have had, my kids would be safe at the ballpark, next year it will be my turn to be the mother hen, I promise.
My dd was so proud to have 4 quarters in her pocket when she came home last night. I said, "Wow, did you get 4 foul balls?" my husband snorted and said, "Nope, she just smiled and the boys gave her the quarters." I call that 'using your resources'.
Anyway back to Friday, I woke up with a massive headache and was back in bed shortly after breakfast. I took another nap before and after lunch (that makes 3) and then had a few visitors in the afternoon. I took yet another nap (I think it would make more sense to call it passing out, I can't remember even laying down) before supper. We had a wonderful catered meal with the most delicious dessert. My dh took the kids for a few hours so I could visit with a dear friend. I took some medicine and it made me feel like my skin was crawling. It was extremely uncomfortable. I tried to sleep while the rain was pounding on the windows and I think I got a few hours squeezed in before daylight. My husband is down trying to dry out the field and, you guessed it, he has the kids so I can rest. So, you know, I am typing. I am singing the Star Spangled Banner today before the games and I am so cotton pickin' nervous, I can hardly breathe. Usually I enjoy this type of thing and I am sure I will do fine, but I can just imagine not remembering the words or running out of breath and mucking the whole thing up. I'll be glad when it is over. I have not helped one bit with this tournament and it's the least I can do to pull a little weight. Hopefully today is a little better than yesterday and I can enjoy the game this evening. My dd equates summer with baseball and when daddy said that the tourney is over today, she cried, "I don't want summer to be done yet!"
Yesterday, I got a phone call from one of the fourth grade children from Orland Colony, she must have begged her father to make the call and the first thing she wanted to know was if the cancer was hurting me and when they would get it all out. The language barrier makes medical terminology almost impossible to explain, so I told her the same thing I told my four-year old. I am sick, the medicine will help me get better, but I am going to have to be sicker first. I may lose my hair and not be able to perform daily duties for a few days out of each treatment, but in 5 months I should be well again! She was content with that and proceeded to tell me that yesterday was butcher day at the colony and they were all very busy. She is very excited for school to start again and scolded me again for not visiting this summer, she said all the baby animals are all grown up now and my kids will have to wait until the next batch to see the babies. She wanted to know if I had 'the central air' in my home and if I was staying cool. Just as abruptly as the phone call had started it ended and she said she hoped to see me soon. I tried to say goodbye but the dial tone was already ringing in my ear and I could not help but think she was already busy cleaning or taking care of her younger brothers and sisters. The simple life, taking care of what's really important.
Post a Comment