Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Power of the People














You want an example of community solidarity? I have a story to tell you...
Once upon a time, not so long ago, there was this woman from a very small town. She found out that she had cancer, her life was turned upside down. She was drowning in a very deep ocean of terror, confusion, and how could this be happeningness. Then, along came a friend who was swimming in the deep ocean, too. This friend was connected to another friend who was connected to another friend who was connected to another and another and another all the way to the shore. They linked onto the woman and tugged and pulled her in from the deepest part of the ocean to the deep part of the ocean. Then the woman was not so scared anymore. Soon, the friends pulled and tugged the woman into the more shallow part of the ocean, then the woman was not so confused and the shore was becoming more and more visible. After much more tugging and pulling and heaving the woman was pulled by the many, many friends onto the shore. Her life was much better and she was no longer worried about her problems. She was surrounded by people who loved her and cared for her and they had all come together to pull her to safety. She still had some small ponds and lakes to wade through, but this time it was easy with her arms linked with all her friends. She wasn't afraid anymore. She was safe and sound in the care of the people.

I am still in shock from the success of the rally yesterday. I find it hard to describe the awe that I felt as my friends and family gathered to support me and my husband and my children. I couldn't sleep last night thinking of all the amazing people who helped the event happen. I kept seeing the faces of the volunteers who spent many nights planning and manned the different parts of the event all day. I saw the faces of people who came to enjoy the event, visitors from near and far who wanted to come and be a part of something big. I heard the songs of special visitors and felt the hugs from almost everyone who came. As I lie awake into the wee hours of the morning, I could do nothing but offer up praise and thanksgiving to God for such an awesome experience that I will never forget. I had the most amazing time, I feel refreshed and invigorated with a renewed sense of courage and faith that I will use to fight every last, tiny speck of cancer out of my life, forever. Thank you so much for everything you have done for me and for my family.

No comments: