Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year's Resolution - SAVE THE WORLD

I have always loved learning. Recently my dh and I enjoyed watching Al Gore’s documentary An Inconvienient Truth. We were astounded by the sheer magnitude of the effects that Global Warming is having on our little planet Earth. I kept asking my husband, "Can you believe that?". It was shocking to say the least.

I had heard about it, knew that it was something bad that was slowly happening to the atmosphere. I knew about hairspray and California's car emmssion laws. But I have never seen the facts and the figures like Gore has shown them. Makes me feel pretty ignorant.

It's overwhelming how much we have already lost. I am only one person, how can I make a difference, right? Recently a friend blogged about this and linked me to the movie's website. I clicked around and found some things that I am already doing and some very simple things I can add that will greatly reduce the amount of carbon dioxide my family generates. That makes me feel better and one step closer to being successful with my resolution. You can save the world, too.

Think you don't matter? Click here to find out how much you impact global warming.

3 comments:

carey said...

this is scary stuff. especially when i just ran an errand without a coat, at 9:30 am on January 5 in South Dakota. yikes. thanks for the heads up.

Unknown said...

It is scary, last night on the news they were talking about major cities who have set record highs in the last few months...that should be a sure sign for us to try and do something about it.

Anonymous said...

Gore says the five hottest years on record (like ever in recorded history) have all occurred in the last 14. Talk about scary.

Thanks for doing your part Rani!

I bought a bunch of cfl light bulbs for our house earlier this week. We'll be replacing all of ours over the next couple months (they are kind of spendy up front, for a thrifty guy like me, but the amount they'll save us over the next few years in electric bills far exceeds the cost). Here is a post by one my favorite bloggers (in addition to Rani, of course), marketing guru Seth Godin, on buying Earth-friendly light bulbs...

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2007/01/how_many_blogge.html