Friday, November 11, 2011

Remember

 Telling the newest member of our extended family a story.
 Singing a story.
 Sharing war stories with words and photos.
Listening to stories at the Veterans Day program today.

The school hosted a Veterans Day program today. My Grandfather, Arved, pictured here with my family on Gavin's first birthday, wrote a "book" about his service in WWII. He could tell the most amazing stories. I distinctly remember the story he told about borrowing money from his friend, the judge, to purchase the materials he needed to build his first home, it was something like $1000. It intrigued my how a full blooded Italian man borrowed money from a friend who just happened to be a judge. Maybe I watch too much CSI but that has mafia written all over it, doesn't it?

Today, members of the community told their war stories. It wasn't hard to listen to what they encountered in battle. My kids kept identifying with the men by saying things like, "Mom, he goes to our church." Stories are so important to pass information down from generation to generation. Today we came together to thank those who serve today and yesterday. My children came away from that program with a much better understanding of who those men in my community are because of the stories they told.

I am thankful today for stories. My favorite thing to do is tell my story, I would love to hear yours.

Gratefully and thankfully blessed with;

children
friends
little surprises
family, each and every one
warm, fall nights to watch high school football games
forgiveness
trying new things
freedom
colors
opportunities to be successful
stories

No comments: