Friday, November 04, 2011

"Today was a fun day."

It is hard not to be thankful on your thirty-seventh birthday.

The day began with an early morning run. I could not have asked for a better way to spend that hour. It was almost warm, the stars were out in full force and I had an amazing running partner/coach.

I walked for a bit after my run, thinking and praying and counting my numerous blessings. I prayed hard for my family, those who are well and those who are not. My heart filled with emotion and the water flowed from my eyes as I prayed hard for my family.

I had planned on taking the day to myself and just doing what I wanted, but my prayers tugged at my heart and made me lonesome for my family. So I asked my husband to come along with me on my errand trips. It took longer than I had hoped and I did not get to dig for deals at the thrift stores like I had wanted to but we made it through.

We made it home in time to unload the groceries and get back in the car to head to the bowling alley. My niece shares my birthday and she was having a party. It was great fun watching those kids try to knock down pins and just spend time together. Afterwards we ate supper and then on the way home a little voice came, exhausted, from the back seat of the van, "Momma, today was a fun day."  That about sums it up.

As I sit here tonight exhausted from my long, fun, day I think hard about what I want to focus my thanks on today. My family is so important to me. My mother is so strong and independent I hope that I age as beautifully as she has and accomplish half as much as she has. My husband is a rock and without him I could not be who I am today. My sister is an intelligent, creative, passionate woman who I adore. My brothers are almost polar opposites but I love them both dearly and am so proud of who they have become and what they have been successful at. My other parents, Ryan's mom and dad, have always made me feel included like I was their own. They have a large family and it is a blessing to be a part of the chaos. I always joke that I was more attracted to my husband's large family than I was to him. The truth is sometimes funny.

Today, I am thankful for family, each and every one.

This month (and forever) I am thankful for

children
friends
little surprises
family, each and every one

No comments: