Saturday, November 19, 2011

Riches

I was straightening up the living room today when I found a pile of change at the bottom of the basket I use to store the blankets. The girls love to play with the little tin can bank I use for spare change. It is painted like a gumball machine. They take the lid off and pour out the change and then put the coins back through the slit in the lid one by one. The basket is right below the shelf where I store the bank and I suppose the girls just dropped the change when they were playing. As soon as I saw the change it triggered a memory. I remembered when I was first married and I was babysitting for Ryan's sister. The kids had both went to sleep and I decided to pick up the living area. I picked up change in several different places. I was shocked that people could have that much money lying around. At that time in my life every penny counted and I knew where every dime was all the time. I remember thinking that this family must have a lot of money to be able to lose that much change in the sofa. I smiled today as I pushed each penny, nickel and dime back through the hole in the lid. I was partly amused because I was thinking about what my babysitter would think if she found a pile of money in the blanket basket and because I know we barely have enough money to pay all of our bills each month, let alone afford to have money lying around the house. 


I am not a millionaire. But I far from poor. I have everything I need and most of the things I want. I have a home, a healthy family and a stocked pantry. I have vehicles that get me to and from where I have to go. I have warm clothes and fancy scarves and running shoes.I have a large family and a Heavenly Father who loves me dearly. I live a life full of wealth and I am thankful for that kind of riches.


Many blessings to be thankful for;
children
friends
little surprises
family, each and every one
warm, fall nights to watch high school football games
forgiveness
trying new things
freedom
colors
opportunities to be successful
stories
my husband
individually wrapped miniature Reece's
music
working out 
technology
warmth
time
riches

1 comment:

bobbione8y said...

i could have written this! our idea of 'rich' is very old-fashioned in this crazy world, and i so love it :)