Thursday, July 06, 2006

Dr. Keppen

Almost too tired to post today. The morning went well, I showered myself and got dressed, only needed dh to zip my pants for me. First day since surgery in real clothes and a bra. The bra came off shortly after the appt., just couldn't hack it. I think I know how the women in the 70's felt when they burned their's.

The Doctor said what we anticipated. All Hodgkins, stage 3b. Chemo is the 1st choice of treatment. We will start asap, as early as July 18th. Will be taking treatment once every 2 weeks for 24 weeks. There will be lots of scans and bloodwork to be sure it is working and 8 weeks in another PET scan. He said he believes that with chemo my disease is 80% treatable. Side effects include; thinning of the hair, fatigue, nausea, infertility, and I will be susceptible to illness. Right before the doctor came in I had to use the restroom and I had to walk across the hallway with my pants unzipped so dh could zip them for me, of course the doctor chose that exact moment to introduce himself. I tried to hold up my pants and shake his hand, but finally gave up and said, "I haven't the strength to do this myself" and let my dh do it. Oddly enough it wasn't that embarrassing. I did shed a few tears when it was all said and done, just the finality of the whole thing hitting home I think.

Dh took me to Perkins for breakfast and we ate like we hadn't eaten in days. I had three cups of coffee. Then we went to Target and shopped, it was good therapy. But I was beat. I slept in the car on the way home and for almost 3 hours after that in my bed.

Pastor's wife brought a feast for supper. It was delicious, and I was hungry since I had not eaten since my brunch. The kids went to dh's ballgame tonight so I had some time to myself. Actually I was not alone, I had a few phone calls and visitors. It was nice. I finished the evening with a short movie and now I am waiting for the kids to come home, oh there's the door, pajama time...

2 comments:

Arianne said...

Well you did it!!! You make me cry just reading about it, Mind you I smile at you having to have help with your zipper.

Cancer scares me, scares the hell out of me but I have met a few people with what you have and they walked out of it better, and stronger than ever. Your going to go through this, you'll hate it but you'll make it and you'll be such a powerful woman after the fact. How could you not be? Your already such an inspiration for those you don't even know and I am sure more people are feeling the same way as me.

Keep up the spirits.... We're here for you!!!
Ari
www.bryce4life.typepad.com

Unknown said...

Dear Ari,
You have already made my journey better and have helped me feel stronger by just cheering me on. Thank you so much for your comments and for reading.

Rani